The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
what am I doing wrong, why are my songs quiet on some devices?
Old 21st July 2019
Gear Head
what am I doing wrong, why are my songs quiet on some devices?

here is my set up,

mpc2000 w goldbaby tape 808 samples

into 3630, very light compression

into sherman filterbank

out to daw/2i4...

what is going on? i have recorded the same thing at -3db and -6 db, both sound good at home and like trash on my laptop or any of the more "consumer" devices.

why is it still not loud enough? sherman filterbank seems to amplify the sound but eventually turns to distortion.

even if i skip the compressor, thrash the filterbank's gain (distorted 808 sound) it is still not loud enough....

the mix sounds great on my monitors and headphones, do i need to increase compression?

should i just record with peaks around 0db because i am already running my drums thru comp and filter?

i'm just trying to compete with normal loudness levels here..

perhaps just buy a limter and run everything thru that, then out to daw?
Old 21st July 2019
Quote:
what is going on? i have recorded the same thing at -3db and -6 db, both sound good at home and like trash on my laptop or any of the more "consumer" devices. should i just record with peaks around 0db because i am already running my drums thru comp and filter?
IF -3DB AND -6DB are PEAK, then that is your problem. PEAK dB doesn't measure loudness and doesn't have anything to do with loudness.
You can have 100 mixes all peaking at 0dB and all 100 can have different volumes. PEAK DB doesn't measure loudness

You need to Look at your LUFS ranges and RMS ranges
Quote:
i'm just trying to compete with normal loudness levels here..
Look into mastering. In mixing, you worry about how it sounds like. In mastering, you get your loudness and you get it to play as best as possible on every sound system, among other things....
Quote:
why is it still not loud enough? sherman Filterbank seems to amplify the sound but eventually turns to distortion.
Because you are clipping it..

Last edited by CJ Mastering; 21st July 2019 at 05:19 PM..
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear
Check frequencies.
Laptop and "consumer" devices usually don't reproduce low frequencies that good.
Old 21st July 2019
Gear Head
I’m reading around -12 integrated in logic’s loudness meter. Lufs range is like 7...

What can I do to increase lufs? Is it possible to record a more normalized less dynamic signal into the daw or is this always done after the fact?

What numbers should I be shooting for in Logic’s loudness meter?
Old 21st July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravecity24 View Post
I’m reading around -12 integrated in logic’s loudness meter. Lufs range is like 7...

What can I do to increase lufs? Is it possible to record a more normalized less dynamic signal into the daw or is this always done after the fact?

What numbers should I be shooting for in Logic’s loudness meter?
7 LUFS IS outrageously high. Do you mean -7 LUFS??
That is still pretty high. iTuens like LUFS between -9 to -13 LUFS.

Anyway, loudness starts in your song writing and arrangement process and carries over into your recording and mixing stages, especially your mixing stages.
Mixing techniques, like complimentary EQ'ing and having each instrument in its own stereo field will be a start. you have a lot of work ahead of you, you should sign off and get busy
Old 23rd July 2019
Gear Addict

Did you forget to master the songs ... ? (Brickwall limiting at least)
Old 24th July 2019
Check these two things:

1) low end - if a lot of your volume is coming from here then it will get lost on any system that doesn't reproduce it well. Eq alone can really affect perceived loudness and how things will pop on different speakers.

2) stereo fx , panning etc. - if your track has a lot of stereo reverb, widener etc it will sound much smaller through a mono speaker or speakers that don't present that well- this is usually a big problem for phones because a lot of them have mono speakers built in. Hit the mono button on your master track every once in a while to see how it translates.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search