The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SSL SiX help / small setup
Old 17th July 2019
Here for the gear

SSL SiX help / small setup

Hi,

I'm wondering how I can set up the SSL SiX to be able to easily process electronic recordings from Ableton Live directly into the console and back into the sound-card and DAW. I want to be using everything from the Channel Compressors and EQs to the G-Series Bus Comp and. My sound-card is a Motu Hybrid MK3 and basically I'm having a hard time being new to a using a board at understanding exactly how to get my tracks from the DAW through the board and into the DAW again. i know, I know, rudimentary setup but I'm far from rich and am not looking to purchase much more gear.

Basically my routing right now is this:

The main Channels (1/2) of the Motu sound-card are going into EXT 1 and 2 of the SSL. That means my main DAW outs are going thru the board but not through any of its channels.... .... .. . .?

I have it set up so that 2 tracks in Ableton are coming out of outputs (3/4) of the Motu and going into the Superanalogue channels 1 and 2 which are hard-panned.
The MAIN MON of the SSL is going directly to my monitors, a pair of Genelecs.

The only way I figured out how to get the stuff from Ableton into the EQs and back into the DAW is the following, which doesn't seem like it's right lol:

Using the ST CUE 1s (both at ON on channels 1/2 (ST CUE 1 OUT's outputs are going back into the Motu (input 3/4)) I can get sound from my DAW through to the two Super analogue channels and back into the DAW, but right now only by using the F/BACK 1 knob as if I were using it to create a FX SEND through a reverb or something. This seems like I'm doing something wrong, it's inconvenient and I'm guessing in my case you would only use the ST CUES to send stuff through effects or something outboard...? Ugh... confusing.

My question essentially is... What the hell kind of routing and button pressing should I have going if I just want to, let's say, send the DAW's (Motu) channels 3/4 into the console, for those tracks to be processed through both the channel comps and EQ and after that the G-Series compressor and then back into the DAW, with some kind of control over what I'm sending back in. To be able to hear my processed and original recordings and to route it maybe internally without having to unplug cables every time, orrrrr is that not possible? lol

I'm new at this, and it's kinda hard for me to navigate. I don't know what buttons need to be pressed and I'm not sure I've figured out the ideal way to plug stuff to and from the DAW and into my speakers using the console. I don't know if that makes sense.

I also tried sending channels 1/2 to BUS B using the channels mutes and then plugging from the B BUS OUT from the console into the DAW but that doesn't seem to work... I'm doing something wrong, some buttons aren't pressed properly and I'm just quite dumbfounded about how to do the damn thing.

Help!

Maybe we could start here and I could clarify if it's too confusing?
Old 17th July 2019
Here for the gear

And yes, I did check the videos and still don't get it. Because there isn't any actual information on how to plug stuff or what needs to be pressed.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Use the inputs of the channels 1 and 2 hard panned, so you have access to the channel eq and compressors. Use the monitor out or the main out back into the daw. If you use the monitor out, you have to route the main bus to the monitor bus by pressing main within the monitor section. This allows the g-comp to be part of the signal chain. Ready.
Do you have the d-25 cables? These have alternative outputs for main and monitor out in case you need the monitor outs for your speakers. If you don't have the d-25 in and out cables, I guess I would use the monitor outs to my speakers and the main out back into the DAW.
Old 17th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
Use the inputs of the channels 1 and 2 hard panned, so you have access to the channel eq and compressors. Use the monitor out or the main out back into the daw. If you use the monitor out, you have to route the main bus to the monitor bus by pressing main within the monitor section. This allows the g-comp to be part of the signal chain. Ready.
Do you have the d-25 cables? These have alternative outputs for main and monitor out in case you need the monitor outs for your speakers. If you don't have the d-25 in and out cables, I guess I would use the monitor outs to my speakers and the main out back into the DAW.
Ok, so that's really helpful. Will try this today or tomorrow. Do you suggest I buy one of these to facilitate everything? Also... I want to be able to have the signal clean and without FX so... Where would I run the DAW's main outs? If I use let's say 2 other outs just for processing, like 3/4 out of Ableton...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ing_Cable.html
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3WWWX View Post
Ok, so that's really helpful. Will try this today or tomorrow. Do you suggest I buy one of these to facilitate everything? Also... I want to be able to have the signal clean and without FX so... Where would I run the DAW's main outs? If I use let's say 2 other outs just for processing, like 3/4 out of Ableton...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ing_Cable.html
The DAW main outs could get into EXT1 or EXT2. There are more possibilities, but this would work.

The SSL Six really has enourmous routing capabilities. This might be confusing sometimes, but on the other hand: it really serves you. I was so frustrated by other mixers with a lot more channels etc., but I could never get them to work the way I wanted them to...

D25 cables are expensive. Only buy them if you need them. Check gearslutz, if you can get quality cables for less money. IF you need them.
I have a lot of hardware, for example I record a lot with a hardware recorder, 'cause I don't like to have a computer or mouse in front of me when making music. But I need a connection to Auria on an iPad, too. And I record a lot with a MPC Live. And I need the inserts of the channels 1+2 to use hardware compressors etc.
So for me the D25 cables where a necessity. But it's incredible that I can use all this stuff without a patchbay and without re-connecting and de-connecting cables all day long.

Good luck!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
The DAW main outs could get into EXT1 or EXT2. There are more possibilities, but this would work.

The SSL Six really has enourmous routing capabilities. This might be confusing sometimes, but on the other hand: it really serves you. I was so frustrated by other mixers with a lot more channels etc., but I could never get them to work the way I wanted them to...

D25 cables are expensive. Only buy them if you need them. Check gearslutz, if you can get quality cables for less money. IF you need them.
I have a lot of hardware, for example I record a lot with a hardware recorder, 'cause I don't like to have a computer or mouse in front of me when making music. But I need a connection to Auria on an iPad, too. And I record a lot with a MPC Live. And I need the inserts of the channels 1+2 to use hardware compressors etc.
So for me the D25 cables where a necessity. But it's incredible that I can use all this stuff without a patchbay and without re-connecting and de-connecting cables all day long.

Good luck!
OK, I really appreciate the info. I'm wondering though if someone can simply just tell me once and for all exactly what I need to do. I'm still confused about where to route the signal back in to get the "processed version" and also unprocessed so like...

Where do I route 3/4 soundcard (processed) and then 1/2 (main) of my soundcard to the board? let's say 3/4 (for processing) to SSL Superanalogue 1/2 and then main to SSL EXT 1/2, then how do I route the processed signal back in to my soundcard? what do I need to press? lol

right now, the setup is as described, but I don't know what to use to get the effected sound back in my soundcard, g series and all. UGH. Sorry I'm just really not understanding the routing capabilities.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It's like I need a diagram or like for someone to show me exactly which outs to which ins, speakers included.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3WWWX View Post
OK, I really appreciate the info. I'm wondering though if someone can simply just tell me once and for all exactly what I need to do. I'm still confused about where to route the signal back in to get the "processed version" and also unprocessed so like...

Where do I route 3/4 soundcard (processed) and then 1/2 (main) of my soundcard to the board? let's say 3/4 (for processing) to SSL Superanalogue 1/2 and then main to SSL EXT 1/2, then how do I route the processed signal back in to my soundcard? what do I need to press? lol

right now, the setup is as described, but I don't know what to use to get the effected sound back in my soundcard, g series and all. UGH. Sorry I'm just really not understanding the routing capabilities.
The only way to get the input 1 and input 2 including the g-comp is the main bus. You can get the main bus out by using the main-outs or by using the monitor outs. In order to get the main bus signal to the monitor outs, you press the main button within the monitor section.

You have to understand that the main outs are simply the MAIN outs.
The monitor section allows the engineer to control different aspects of the sound - including monitor mixes for artists, but the MAIN signal, too. This is why it has so many potis and buttons:-).

Just imagine a concert: the main outs would be connected to the PA. But as an engineer, you would use headphones and control: the foldback mixes (going to single artists), what is send to effect units, what comes back from effect units etc.

So just as described: the main-out or the monitor out has to go back to the soundcard.

There are other ways, but I don't want to confuse you.

The large flyer that came with the SiX is very usefull.

Or simply read stuff about mixers in general to understand the terminology.

Main bus / monitor section / inserts / Alt-1/ Alt-3 / B-Bus / Sub-mixes. All that stuff...
The SiX is a good learning environment, 'cause it only has few channels, but offers incredible routing capabilities...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search