The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
EQ aha moment
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Thank you. I've never tried that approach -working from 1:1 up, rather than threshold down'.

Well, there was 'find the absolute lowest ratio on the Yamaha GC2020 some forty years back. But that was more 'preservation, 'anything more sounding like a*s.
Funny now how that, would kick in here
I can relate. I've had some hardware compressors where it was a struggle to make them at all subtle.

If you have the SSL vst, you should try that compression trick. I think it's a key technique to get the most utility from that Strip.
Old 23rd July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
The most important thing IMO is learning how to listen. It takes a lot of time and practice to learn how to hear and understand nuance, and start to intuitively know when something needs to be fixed, or just to leave it alone. Mixing happens mostly in your mind, and the biggest hurdle in new mixers is usually overcoming the desire to over-process things. Instead of EQ, compression, “tape” saturation, de-esser, M/S processing, multi-band compression, etc... maybe all that was needed was to balance things properly, then you might need a small amount of one or two of those things on some tracks, rather than all of those things on all tracks.

All the gear in the world won’t really help you if you don’t understand when, where and why to use it, and for that you need to actually listen. Mixing is mostly technical, but when it comes to the overall production, there is an art to it and that comes from taste and judgement, which again comes from listening.

This.

Learn how to listen, and what to listen for.

Learn what gear to reach for and when.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search