The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is a good Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD 650s and a Rode NT1
Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear
What is a good Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD 650s and a Rode NT1

Hello there.

This is my first foray into somewhat higher end studio equipment. I'm considering picking up some Sennheiser HD 650 headphones and a Rode NT1 microphone. If anybody has any recommendations for what Amp/DAC I should use to drive these two, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

EDIT:
Ended up trying two interfaces with the HD 650's, didn't like anything I was hearing. I have returned to my ATH-M50xs. Perhaps my ears are broken but I feel like the M50xs sound a ton better than the 650s and that feels kinda weird to say.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colesy View Post
what Amp/DAC
What are you planning to do with them?
As for an audio interface (connect to your computer) any interface with a microphone input with phantom power and headphone output will do.

Wait, a 600Ω headphone (why?), that would need more power headphone amp then some AI deliver.

Last edited by BT64; 16th July 2019 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Headphone impedance
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
As for an audio interface (connect to your computer) any interface with a microphone input with phantom power and headphone output will do.
The 650s are known for having a particularly high impedance (300 ohms). I'm pretty sure some (and possibly most) audio interfaces don't have sufficient headphone output to drive them to they level one would want from headphones.
Old 16th July 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post

Wait, a 600Ω headphone (why?), that would need more power headphone amp then some AI deliver.
General use and sound design when working in Reaper. They are 300 ohms, I picked them up primarily because they were heavily discounted and I wanted to try out some higher end headphones. I've been running a pair of ATH-M50xs for years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
The 650s are known for having a particularly high impedance (300 ohms). I'm pretty sure some (and possibly most) audio interfaces don't have sufficient headphone output to drive them to they level one would want from headphones.
There's gotta be one out there that can. But I don't know a thing about audio interfaces, despite spending nearly the entirety of the last two days researching them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search