The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Small Home Studio / Gear Configuration
Old 14th July 2019
Here for the gear

Small Home Studio / Gear Configuration

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to read my post, any input is greatly appreciated!

I would like some input on how best to connect this equipment for small home studio. I've tried various configurations but i'm fairly new to recording and would like to optimize the best i can.

Goal: I have a band and we meet up once a week. I've been recording the sessions on the Zoom H4n recorder and it sounds pretty good, but i would like to try and have an individual track for each person, as the Vocals and Bass a little quiet over the drums.

Equipment:
-Scarlet 2i2 Interface
-Zoom H4N Recoreder
-Boss RC-300 Loop Station
-Audio Technia 2034 / Shure sm58 / sm57
-Akai Midi Controller

Intended Inputs:
Guitar via SM57 mic
Bass via 1/4", AUX
Vocals via XLR
Drums via Overhead Mic or Re-tracking?

I only have 2 inputs on my interface, but I read that with the H4n recorder, you can record input 1 and 2 as stereo, and then split the .wav file into two separate mono tracks. Technically this would give me 4 individual tracks to mix with assuming i have two inputs into the 2i2 and two more from the H4n. Am i correct in this thinking?

I don't expect to get professional studio quality, but I believe i have to gear to make a pretty good sounding mix.

Thank you very much if you made it to the end of this!
Attached Thumbnails
Small Home Studio / Gear Configuration-img_2963-4.jpg  
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear
Two seperate input devices could be tricky to record in one go.
Can you select both in your DAW?
Do you want to sync the recordings later?
Old 14th July 2019
Here for the gear

I believe i can use the Line Out on the Zoom H4n and connect it to one of the inputs on the interface, but then it wouldn't be a stereo track anymore that i can split. I know the real answer is get a larger interface, but i'm hoping i can put together something that works until i can make that leap. I suppose i was planning on syncing them up with a Clap across 4 tracks at the start of the recording.
Old 14th July 2019
Here for the gear

Doing a little more research it looks like i can use the Zoom H4n as an audio interface. I'll have to look more into Aggregate Devices, but logic allows you two use multiple physical interfaces. I'll have to look into the pros/cons of this but that would be awesome!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search