The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SM57 + Behringer UMC22 for podcast = background noise/hissing
Old 11th July 2019
Here for the gear

SM57 + Behringer UMC22 for podcast = background noise/hissing

Hi there!

I'm currently recording a podcast using a Shure SM57 through a Behringer UMC22 interface.

The issue I have is that I get a lot of background noise while recording my voice. I attached a clip for reference (just the noise)

I've a friend who is using an Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB (no external interface) for this podcast and his audio quality is certainly superior and with almost no background noise at all.

So I'm wondering if my equipment is just not the right one for this purpose (i.e.: podcast recording) or if I'm doing something wrong here.

Any tips would be nice as I'm struggling with this noise when editing every episode we make.

Thanks!
Attached Files

background_noise.mp3 (336.7 KB, 109 views)

Old 13th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdan View Post
Hi there!

I'm currently recording a podcast using a Shure SM57 through a Behringer UMC22 interface.

The issue I have is that I get a lot of background noise while recording my voice. I attached a clip for reference (just the noise)

I've a friend who is using an Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB (no external interface) for this podcast and his audio quality is certainly superior and with almost no background noise at all.

So I'm wondering if my equipment is just not the right one for this purpose (i.e.: podcast recording) or if I'm doing something wrong here.

Any tips would be nice as I'm struggling with this noise when editing every episode we make.

Thanks!
If I was using an sm57 and a UMC22 I would plug the mic into a Cloudlifter CL-1 then the Cloudlifter CL-1 into the UMC22 then turn on Phantom Power +48v.

This way the dynamic mic which does not need phantom power would get clean gain and reduce so much noise. The UMC22 preamp is noisy also.

If I still had noise I'd make sure refrigerator, HVAC, PC Fan, Outside noise was not on or blocked with treatment. Window = couple of peices of Roxul safe and sound, black soundproofpanel 1 inch around window, 1/2 plywood or other material then screw defusion blocks onto it.

Then id make wood frames cover one side with burlap staple gun and lay roxul safe n sound into the wood frames and staple gun some poly material similar to Maine Fabric on the other side of the wodden frame opposite the burlap like a Christmas present on the corners. I'd make min 8 panels x2 on each wall. You can go mini hardcore and make a rectangle floor to ceiling frame for the corners of the room and put triangle wedges of Roxul Safe n Sound top to bottom flat then cover it with a fabric pannel if you want bass traps. Heard low frequencies love to gather and build up there.

Then you can go mini plus hardcore and hang a pannel above you= cloud

Then you can go hardcore and do all the walls and ceiling with all pannel.

Then you can go all Benaroya Ape Hardcore and build a suspended floor.

Or you can emal a script to Morgan Freedman.

If there was still noise I would test another mic then upgrade the UMC22.

The Cloudlifter is freaken cool beans 1000.

Dynamic Mic = No Phantom Power
Condensor Mic= Yes Phantom Power
Cloudlifter = Yes Phantom Power

Need a preamp to boost the signal from the mic.

Cloudlifter works with dynamic mic and is cost effective or you can use a good preamp before the interface.

Share your podcast I am starting one too very soon.
Have not chose app or software yet. Still on fence.

Good luck.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Head

FWIW --

The SM57 needs a foam ball for vocal use. With that, keep it 2" - 6" from your lips.

You can then reduce the gain of the UMC22, and the noise (whether from the electronics or the room you're in) will be less prominent.

It would be useful to have a clip of you speaking and then keeping quiet, so we could hear whether the noise is really obtrusive. And maybe guess if it's coming from the room, or the electronics.

I assume you're not using compression when recording. If you are, please turn it off. Not needed for podcasts, and annoying for listeners.

. Charles
Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoily View Post
If I was using an sm57 and a UMC22 I would plug the mic into a Cloudlifter CL-1 then the Cloudlifter CL-1 into the UMC22 then turn on Phantom Power +48v.

This way the dynamic mic which does not need phantom power would get clean gain and reduce so much noise. The UMC22 preamp is noisy also.

If I still had noise I'd make sure refrigerator, HVAC, PC Fan, Outside noise was not on or blocked with treatment. Window = couple of peices of Roxul safe and sound, black soundproofpanel 1 inch around window, 1/2 plywood or other material then screw defusion blocks onto it.

Then id make wood frames cover one side with burlap staple gun and lay roxul safe n sound into the wood frames and staple gun some poly material similar to Maine Fabric on the other side of the wodden frame opposite the burlap like a Christmas present on the corners. I'd make min 8 panels x2 on each wall. You can go mini hardcore and make a rectangle floor to ceiling frame for the corners of the room and put triangle wedges of Roxul Safe n Sound top to bottom flat then cover it with a fabric pannel if you want bass traps. Heard low frequencies love to gather and build up there.

Then you can go mini plus hardcore and hang a pannel above you= cloud

Then you can go hardcore and do all the walls and ceiling with all pannel.

Then you can go all Benaroya Ape Hardcore and build a suspended floor.

Or you can emal a script to Morgan Freedman.

If there was still noise I would test another mic then upgrade the UMC22.

The Cloudlifter is freaken cool beans 1000.

Dynamic Mic = No Phantom Power
Condensor Mic= Yes Phantom Power
Cloudlifter = Yes Phantom Power

Need a preamp to boost the signal from the mic.

Cloudlifter works with dynamic mic and is cost effective or you can use a good preamp before the interface.

Share your podcast I am starting one too very soon.
Have not chose app or software yet. Still on fence.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for your thorough answer! I think I'll try the Cloudlifter first.

I knew the UMC22 was a cheap interface, do you have any recommendations for an upgrade? I was looking at the Steinberg UR44.
Old 15th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdan View Post
Thank you so much for your thorough answer! I think I'll try the Cloudlifter first.

I knew the UMC22 was a cheap interface, do you have any recommendations for an upgrade? I was looking at the Steinberg UR44.

Funny, the UR44 is always running here and is very good. The software that comes with it for the virtual mixer and effects are a bit lame and old but you can setup the routing on the mixer on 2 pages and save many setups to recall so cool.

I like the ur44 allot, finding the link for the virtual dongle is not too hard, it's listed on sweetwater. So you can get a used one and use it even if you dont have a physical usb dongle.

The other interface I like is the Presonus 192, it has good sound, fast input select and using one gain knob is cool. The software mixer for this is amazing. Also you can use the internsl dsp effects inside the interface to track/record. You can choose an option so it prints / renders on the recorded file or the effects are just for monitoring, so if you have a singer you can let them hear a better version of themselves then your recording is them being normaly bad and now you can use any effect you want.

The presonus 192 does not have midi in and out but the Steinberg UR-44 does.

Cloudlifters , Radial DI boxes and Palmer / Radial reamp boxes are so cool.

Good luck.

Presonus Studio 192 features work with the DAW Studio One.
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcohen View Post
FWIW --

The SM57 needs a foam ball for vocal use. With that, keep it 2" - 6" from your lips.

You can then reduce the gain of the UMC22, and the noise (whether from the electronics or the room you're in) will be less prominent.

It would be useful to have a clip of you speaking and then keeping quiet, so we could hear whether the noise is really obtrusive. And maybe guess if it's coming from the room, or the electronics.

I assume you're not using compression when recording. If you are, please turn it off. Not needed for podcasts, and annoying for listeners.

. Charles
I disagree about compression on podcasts. I find it incredibly useful, not just for dynamic control (inconsistent vocal level and mic technique abounds) but also for a polished "radio" sound. Just my 2 cents.

But for the OP, it certainly could be raising the noise floor. OP may benefit from a gate too, if they haven't tried one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search