The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New to DAWs - using my live rig Soundcraft Mixer as USB I/O to MBP = toss it out?
Old 5th July 2019
Here for the gear

New to DAWs - using my live rig Soundcraft Mixer as USB I/O to MBP = toss it out?

I am very new to DAW recording. I'm running a MBP i7/2.7g/16gb/SSD500gb. Using GarageBand and upgrade to Logic soon as I see this work well enough to convince me to jump.

I have a Soundcraft Notepad Fx12 (mixer/USB interface) I'm using to hook a cpl of synths in, and take the audio out as well. I hook up my midi controller (old casio keybd) with a simple keyboard to $50 midi cable converter thingy.

My problem I imagine is latency. But it is different than I have experienced before - with delay bw activating the midi trigger and hearing the sound on a track. It made it impossible to record on top of anything else.

With my current set up, once record is on for a few bars, the system runs great - the midi keyboard plays the garageband instruments well, the external synths are recording audio well onto tracks in GB. Life is great! This is fun!

But, once the last instrument sound has decayed from the monitor, the problem comes up. As example, when recording, when I hit record, I hear the first click of the metronome and then nothing - it loads/fades in over the next 2/3 seconds. And then all seems good again. It feels like the whole computer is loading up like an old gramophone as the handle is cranked - not in pitch but volume. Whether I hit Record, or trigger a Midi signal (via external keyboard) or simply hit Play, if it has been a couple of seconds since the last sound came through the monitor, it will have that delay again. (If I disconnect the Fx12 and plug headphones into the MBP, the midi keyboard, the DAW, and everything else appears to work great. Only happens with the Soundcraft as I/O)

I can't hear count-ins because it takes too long for the audio to fade back in. The metronome comes on as well with the fade - but by then I'm lost! ( I have learned lots of about cutting and moving stuff around to compensate for not being able to hear the first few bars though! not all is lost)

Finally the Question!

Would a Soundcraft Fx12 mixer work as advertised as a USB interface for my quality mac system, or need I toss it out?

Also - - If it need go,how can I get an interface and get comfortable recording/playing at my best price? I don't mind only one or two inputs for synths. I have lots of time and can go one at a time if necessary. I have looked at the database here and have been reading lots, but the marketplace is huge and somewhat confusing.

If Logic Pro is the answer I will do that - but I am not convinced that with the Soundcraft and usb cable, I wouldn't see much improvement.

Thanks for your time folks. This is both exciting and stressful at the same time. Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

getting it sorted. thx for the help. : /

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search