The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A lot of noise and hum from UMC22
Old 26th June 2019
Here for the gear

A lot of noise and hum from UMC22

I've been using the Behringer UMC22 with no problems for the past week but all of a sudden my mic input has become earrapingly loud (and i did not touch the gain knob). I unplugged the mic cable from the interface and then took a listen to the interface recording driver and I heard a hum with a bunch of noise. This issue happened pretty suddenly, although I'm not exactly sure how it started. I also noticed that increasing the gain on the gain 2 knob (instrument, which i don't have anything plugged into) will increase the pitch of the hum. Increasing the gain on the microphone (which isn't plugged in) increases the white noise, not the high pitched hum. Toggling between phantom power will make the noise suddenly low and rise back up quickly. I attached a sample of the audio the interface produces with no microphone plugged into it, incase that helps. I start messing with the gain 2 knob at 10 seconds
Attached Files

Recording.m4a (476.3 KB, 82 views)

Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

When I used to repair gear for a living a good 50% of the repair jobs that came in used to be really simple stuff like a loose wire connection from the factory plugging into the board inside or maybe a cracked solder joint making a loose connection or solder beads left over from wave soldering that are bridging a connection.

If there is AC hum and static could be any of those items or it can be a weak component that has failed. What you want to be sure first is if that noise is getting on the recording or whether its only heard on playback. That divides the device it its input vs output sections. You may for example have a headphone or headphone amp issue and the noise and static are only heard in the headphones, not on the recording. If the noise is coming from the mic preamp, then pre recorded music might sound clean and its only what's being recorded now that's collecting static from the input.

I'd check the line in's too. see if its isolated to the mic preamp or everything going in. I'm not sure what you can actually do to fix anything besides inspect and clean any suspicious solder joints. Everything is on a single board and if you have a bad component the only fix is to replace the board. They don't do repairs to component levels on stuff like that and parts are pretty much impossible to obtain. Unless a tech can get parts and earn $125 for the first hour its not something most pros are going to touch. An interface is fairly complex and you cant begin to analyze what's actually wrong beyond what I posted above.

I had bought an M-Audio 1010LT board used which had static on two channels. At first I thought it was a bad dongle used to make all the audio connections to the PCI board. After trying a new one I moved onto the preamps. I resolderd all the chip connections hoping that might sold it but no soap. I was able to deduce the static was occurring inside the converter chips themselves. The person who had it fed the board too strong a signal and damaged the input of the converter chip.
The board played back fine, It just goes nuts on 2 out of 8 channels recording randomly. It may even be heat related though I couldn't get any changes when freezing the chip.

One last note. Behringer has a long history of selling gear that either works great at low cost but their quality control inspections is definitely one of the areas they cut to reduce costs. The unskilled workers building the stuff in china "Might" know how to connect something to a test computer and give it a pass or fail but once they are boxed and transported over seas to destinations, any weakness in the builds typically get revealed. Sometimes it out of box failures, sometimes its the bargain basement parts used that fail. Sometimes its like I said a weak solder joint or bead of solder rolling around inside that kills the unit. In the end you get what you pay for that that means reliability too.

Be sure you've tried new cables and tried a new power outlet. Keep all you're recording gear on the same outlet too. Hum is often caused by a ground loop putting gear on different outlets and having different ground potentials. This causes AC voltage to flow between devices and even damaging them in some cases.
Old 27th June 2019
Here for the gear

No it's definately not a problem with the mic, it's with the preamp. Also, I looked into the windows sound settings and it said that the microphone volume level was at 56% and not 100% and when i tried to turn it up to 100 and reduce the gain on the preamp it sounded like there was much higher background noise at a level where my voice still sounded the same... so maybe it's some kind of problem with windows??
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Any resolution to this

Hi, I know this is an older thread but I wonder if you’ve found a resolution to this as I am using the same interface and have the exact same issue.
Attached Files

White Noise.mp3 (683.7 KB, 22 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search