The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
*ehtics help*
Old 22nd June 2019
Gear Addict

*ehtics help*

Good day everyone,

I need help regarding potential clients. I strictly do demo's, that's my nitch, and get them a great liver recording.

What's great is a few of the bands end up re-recording the tunes in commercial studio's.

Well the bands grant my free copies of my work, and even one band suggested to use their songs they granted me with, and the official release version of the CD, which they also have given me, to use a segment collage between the two, so potential clients can hear the two, so they can critique my work.

I know people always do that kind of stuff on the Y tube and such.

Although I would never mention where the recordings were done, although I imagine they can google the song and research, but as for me I would never do such a thing.

Is that reasonable?

Last edited by Basslik; 22nd June 2019 at 12:25 AM..
Old 22nd June 2019
It’s a bit hard for me to understand what you are saying.

Is the problem that they are mentioning that their recordings are made in your studio? Or that they are using your recordings in situations other than you have agreed on?
Old 22nd June 2019
I'm having the same issue as Thedberg. I'm confused to what you are asking??
Are you asking if its ok to use the bands CD and name the place it was done at? If that is it, as long as you have permission from the artist, you good.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thanks for the info, and yes approval from the bands, and only small clips of their top studios locally, and my version.

I never name, names or bands either, merely to compare $1,000's, vs $100's.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If the band(s) have paid for the recording(s), then they own it/them (unless, for some reason, they specifically agreed otherwise in a contract with the studio), so as long as they grant you permission to use the recording, you're fine.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

If it's a "portfolio" situation -- showing my work to get more work -- I only ask for permission if something's unreleased, and artists pretty much always say yes.

I won't send someone files of a record, but I'll definitely sit someone down in front of the work or go to their place and play it for them there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If it's a "portfolio" situation -- showing my work to get more work -- I only ask for permission if something's unreleased, and artists pretty much always say yes.

I won't send someone files of a record, but I'll definitely sit someone down in front of the work or go to their place and play it for them there.
Why do you not send recorded files if they paid for the recording and own it?

Edit: Oops. Just figured it out. You won't send portfolio files to a 3rd party. Good for you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search