The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
To GS mods and bosses, there needs to be a forum added
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

To GS mods and bosses, there needs to be a forum added

I was just Listening to the classic song "BAKER STREET", with that massive sax, just awesome. I was thinking about the mix decisions, the engineering stuff. I thought how great it would be to have a daily thread in one of the forums where we could discuss maybe two classic songs and the mixing decisions made in them. What a fun thread. I would call it "The daily, classic Mixing thread" I came here to start a thread about that great song and realized, THERE IS REALLY NO forum that's right for this type daily thread.

Warren Huart said in one of his YT vids that "we stand on the shoulders of giants", the classic saying. We GS, do we stand on the shoulders of Giants?

There is not a forum dedicated the great mixers and engineers of the past who put out so mANY HITS. A forum for discussion of the mixing decisions of these giants of the past.

In fact, that is a name for the forum, "We Stand On The Shoulders Of Giants" A forum to discuss classic songs, the giants who mixed them and the decisions they made.

I want to discuss the song "Baker Street". I want to ask about the reverb on the sax, the fact that the vocal was very dry, did they do that simply because they wanted contrast to the very reverberated sax? Was the sax reverb plate reverb?

https://youtu.be/6tynWSAesAo

There are many more songs I would love to discuss, like "long train running" by the Doobies. He ain't heavy, he's my brother... and tons of others, yet there is no forum dedicated to these master mixers and their interesting craft and decisions.

So how about a new forum called, "We Stand on the Shoulders of Giants" "a forum for the breakdown of classic mixes and the engineering decisions made in them"
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffguitar View Post
So how about a new forum called, "We Stand on the Shoulders of Giants" "a forum for the breakdown of classic mixes and the engineering decisions made in them"
The people who really care about this stuff are already familiar with the work of top engineers, because hours and hours and hours have been spent studying the guys, without, incidentally, the aid of public forums. The new GS forum would be for people who wanted to know things, but not enough to put any real effort into getting the information.

If helpful people posted links for further reading, for example, I'm guessing only about 2% of the forum participants would be serious enough to take advantage of them. The rest would just continue shooting the breeze, unencumbered by any kind of intellectual investment. Same old, same old.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
The people who really care about this stuff are already familiar with the work of top engineers, because hours and hours and hours have been spent studying the guys, without, incidentally, the aid of public forums. The new GS forum would be for people who wanted to know things, but not enough to put any real effort into getting the information. Same old, same old.
Whatever the reasons, It ould be a fun forum. I want to know what GS engineers think about these classics. ould they make the same decisions if they were brought "Baker Street"? It's a shame there is no specific forum to discuss these classic works of mixing. What forum should I post my questions about this and other songs in, So much gear, so little time, low end theory? There should be a forum for discussing these classics. I would bet it would be very popular.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
The people who really care about this stuff are already familiar with the work of top engineers, because hours and hours and hours have been spent studying the guys, without, incidentally, the aid of public forums. The new GS forum would be for people who wanted to know things, but not enough to put any real effort into getting the information.

If helpful people posted links for further reading, only about 2% of the forum participants would be serious enough to take advantage of them. The rest would just continue shooting the breeze. Same old, same old.
Also, you may have missed my main point. External links ou;d be fine for info ABOUT the song, but the discussions of the MIX itself would take place here. The entire point of the forum and thread would be to get opinions of the mix decisions OF GS PROS and mixers. UI want to know if other GS pros would make the same decisions. Would they immediately decide to make the vocals so dry for contrast to the deep reverb on the sax? Or would they only stumble upon this decision after mixing with it for a while? What about the panning and instrument loudness decisions? Types of reverb that was used and what COULD have been used instead. So no, your point about external links is neither here nor there. The interesting part would be the opinions of GS pros and others here about the song. External links and info would only be a side note.

I have many old classics I would love to ask questions about to the pros here. There should be a forum dedicated to these mixers and their craft. I read the info at Wiki on the song and it was interesting, but no discussion at all of the mixing decisions. It's that discussion that ould fit a forum here dedicated to the giants who came before. Just discussing these classics would be paying homage to these folks and HOW they worked and the job they did.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

And something that would surely happen from time to time is that the original mixers of the classic would actually pop in and say< Hey, I actually mixed "Baker Street" and I'm still alive and kicking and still mixing today". Here's why we made this or that decision.

Imagine all the accolades Raferty and the band got. Think of how cool it would be to the mixers of these classics to see a thread on GS where their mixing on a classic was being discussed. GS is world famous and many older pros read this forum I'm sure. Look at the pros who already come here, Schepps, Wells, people like Huart, Pensada...and on and on. So no doubt sometimes the original mixers of these classics would hear about the discussion of their work and pop in to chat. No doubt many of these people are still alive today and would enjoy a chat about thier mix decisions.

So yeah, I would bet a forum called "We Stand on the Shoulders of Giants" would end up being a very popular forum.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search