The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
guitar fx: mic level out vs line level out
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

guitar fx: mic level out vs line level out

just looking to get a better idea what the general consensus is on using mic outputs vs line outputs on guitar related gear.

for instance, I have a power amp that has '600 ohm, transformer balanced signal' direct outs... also has 1/4 line outs which I would assume are not trs.

that one seems pretty obvious to me, but less obvious is my pod prox. it has xlr outputs that can be switched to line level. in that case... either output is trs... and going into a trs input. iow I can go out xlr-to-xlr or xlr-to-trs.

would the inputs on my interface be a deciding factor: I have the option of combo xlr/trs inputs, and xlr or line inputs that can be gain switched accordingly.

so, given all this - what would you guess is the best potential hookup?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
would the inputs on my interface be a deciding factor: I have the option of combo xlr/trs inputs, and xlr or line inputs that can be gain switched accordingly.
The combo are not line level. so if you are sending line level to your interface, you need to use the line level inputs, not the mic level. But check your manual to actually make sure.. Its what i would do and have done for all my gear. so i know for sure...

CJ
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I would assume the combos could be switched internally based on the input they receive... but I don't know if they are. Either way, I can send line or mic level if i want and am aware that if they are expecting line level I should send line level: but my question was more about if one might be better than the other and why.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
but my question was more about if one might be better than the other and why.
It was answered. Line level signals are best for line level inputs and mix level signal are best for mic level inputs
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I'm not trying to be difficult (but succeeding, I know) but I don't think you understood.
obviously if you have a line-level-only-out device you should use line level in with it and visa versa... but if you have the option of either mic OR line level... ie you have options to go mic level out to mic level in OR you can go line level out to line level in what would drive your decision?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
but I don't think you understood.
But i do understand 1000%. Its not me whop doesn't understand
Quote:
but if you have the option of either mic OR line level... ie you have options to go mic level out to mic level in OR you can go line level out to line level in what would drive your decision?
What you do not understand is that 'if you have the option', the better one is the one YOU Like the best. It has to do with YOUR personnel preferences. Better for 100 different people can have 100 different results in music production.

That said, you would have to try both and see what is better for you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

no need to get your undies in a bundle - lets take it down a notch. I may be guilty of not asking it in a way that is clear... that's on me.

my question was meant to convey which would YOU choose and WHY. With all due respect, either answer that or don't, but don't answer that "line level signals are better for line inputs" because that doesn't help me. I do very much appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
no need to get your undies in a bundle
lol, There not, you are just not understanding.
Quote:
my question was meant to convey which would YOU choose and WHY.
I would choose the best one that I THOUGHT was the best. This is what you are not getting in music production. There are no BEST ways to do things. What is best for you and your personnel preferences are not best for me and mine.

As i said, you need to try both and see what YOU like the BEST.
Old 4 weeks ago
This is like asking what the best flavor of ice-cream is
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

i can see you aren't very adept at following instructions - I said answer or don't. this isn't a thread about debating the validity of my question. if you are so juvenile that you can't answer without playing tit-for-tat I suggest you move along (and also grow up).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search