The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio quality differences between models in same series?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Audio quality differences between models in same series?

Hi

Is there any differences in actual audio quality between these models:

Focusrite Scarlett Solo vs 2i2
Steinberg UR12 vs UR22 MK2
Behringer UMC202HD vs UMC204HD
NI Komplete Audio 1 vs 2

Those are the four serieses I'm interested in. I will only record electric guitar and vocals so all of the above have required inputs. I just want to know if the internal parts are the same between the cheaper and more expensive models and I'm not getring worse recording quality by choosing the cheaper model.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I just want to know if the internal parts are the same between the cheaper and more expensive models
Of course they are not the same. Each one will have different parts. All different interfaces use different parts.
Quote:
Depending on your personnel taste and the type of guitar you have, the type of strings you use, the pick-ups you have and some other little things, So what will sound best to you depends on those things, especially your personnel taste.

That means that a $100 audio interface can sound better to you then a $1,000 audio interface in a blind test or a $500 interface can sound better than are $2,000 interface.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Of course they are not the same. Each one will have different parts. All different interfaces use different parts.
Ok. So for example, Solo uses different parts than 2i2?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Ok. So for example, Solo uses different parts than 2i2?
You're splitting hairs. You're doing simple home recording. You're obviously on a very tight budget (Who isn't?).

You'd probably do just fine with the cheapest interface on your list. Get that one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi

NI Komplete Audio 1 vs 2

Those are the four serieses I'm interested in. I will only record electric guitar and vocals so all of the above have required inputs. I just want to know if the internal parts are the same between the cheaper and more expensive models and I'm not getring worse recording quality by choosing the cheaper model.
All entry-level. Assuming your monitors and abilities are entry-level as well, you'll never notice any differences. You can peruse the manufacturers spec sheets for the digits, but suggest you make any purchase choice among the mentioned items on features.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

NI Komplete Audio 1 vs 2

Most of the Steinbergs list The Yamaha D class A mic Pre
The MR 816 I have used has those. They are a great pre
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

At one level you are comparing hammers. The difference is not signifiant.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
In a previous year, when I was buying a smaller interface for location recording, I heard a preamp difference between brands, but not much difference between different models of the same brand. I preferred the Steinberg to the Behringer, which I found slightly more to my taste than the Focusrite. Within the Steinberg line, the USB interface pres had slightly less clean gain, but the D-pres sounded generally the same up and down the line, as did the headphone and line outs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
I don't think you got what he was asking. He isn't asking does (for ex) the Focusrite use the same parts as the Steinberg, but does the UR12 use the same parts as the UR22. And I feel safe in saying yes, but very generally speaking. Of course it varies here and there.

I agree that the diff in these models is negligible at most; they are all fine AIs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you guys. I will listen few comparisons and then get the model that sounds best to me. I'm sure they are all fine.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Consider the stability of the drivers. I have done an extensive research a few years ago when I was selecting a new interface (after many frustrations that were due to problematic drivers) and I was left with 2 names: Steinberg and RME. I suggest to research various forums to see how many people had problems with an interface before buying it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure they are all fine.
Don't be so sure, I recently heard a Behringer ADA8000 and I didn't like the quality of the sound, at all.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
Don't be so sure, I recently heard a Behringer ADA8000 and I didn't like the quality of the sound, at all.
Yeah, that isn't on the list; a mere technicality, though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
The 8000 isn’t a current product. The current 8200 specs better and sounds better than the 8000, and is a good low budget choice if you need to add 8 decent pres.
Neither of those Behringer ADAT models is a pony in this race. But it seems unfair to the brand to dis their decades-old 8000 in this discussion, so that’s my point in staying off topic with you for a moment.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 is the Behringer item that is an 8 channel interface

Last edited by emenelton; 3 weeks ago at 08:50 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
At one level you are comparing hammers. The difference is not signifiant.
If there is a hammer forum anywhere, they would think that is an incredibly stupid comment.

Of course we aren’t in the hammer forum, and your comment makes sense here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
The 8000 isn’t a current product. The current 8200 specs better and sounds better than the 8000, and is a good low budget choice if you need to add 8 decent pres.
Neither of those Behringer ADAT models is a pony in this race. But it seems unfair to the brand to dis their decades-old 8000 in this discussion, so that’s my point in staying off topic with you for a moment.
That's a fair point, I just wrote the first example that came to my mind to say that I would not be sure they are all fine. I looked for a couple of samples captured with the ADA8200 and I have to say I'm not impressed. Better than the ADA8000, but I'd surely prefeer to use a Steinberg MR816 (another price ofc, but also 10 years older). I don't even know if I'd choose the ADA8200 over the M-Audio FW410 which I had and hated (2004) (now you got me curious and i HAVE to test that ).

Back on topic, unfortunately I didn't find appropriate shootouts regarding the models you are considering. I nevertheless found some shootouts of various interfaces of the series you mentioned. Personally I would go for a Steinberg, but in one case I found the Focusrite to be a bit warmer on some guitars and you may like that. I didn't like the Behringers.
YMMV, but IMO more expensive interfaces do sound better. If that can help, on a test I was surprised by the difference between the UR22 and the UR28M, same serie but not same sound (if the test has been done correctly, which I cannot guarantee).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
IMO more expensive interfaces do sound better.
That is a very strong prejudice, conscious or unconscious, which is the best reason to say that blind testing is the only reliable way to compare components.
As an example, a client had to tell me that my new $300 mic that I had put up just to hear, actually sounded better on his voice than my all-time favorite multi-thousand dollar edge-terminated tube condenser that I had put up to USE.
I thought the cheaper mic sounded surprisingly good, but I was unconsciously unable to put both mcs on an equal level and make a fair analysis.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with your hearing or judgement (or mine, because I’m in the same group). It is an almost universal human inability to separate what you hear from the label or price tag, IF you have that information.
Enough said... it seems that more than half of GSers don’t believe this proven fact, although most like to be called engineers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by emenelton View Post
Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 is the Behringer item that is an 8 channel interface
If you are trying to correct the previous posts, the 8000 and 8200 were correctly identified as ADAT preamps, not interfaces. In any case, this thread isn’t about 8 channel ADATs or interfaces.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
If you are trying to correct the previous posts, the 8000 and 8200 were correctly identified as ADAT preamps, not interfaces. In any case, this thread isn’t about 8 channel ADATs or interfaces.
When the 8000 and 8200 were mentioned, I brought up the 1820 because it is an interface.

and $278 list new.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by emenelton View Post
When the 8000 and 8200 were mentioned, I brought up the 1820 because it is an interface.

and $278 list new.
Read the OP’s first post.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search