The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
White noise in tracks
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Nut
 
fracturematt's Avatar
 

White noise in tracks

This seems embarassingly n00b. My songs have whitenoise throughout. Even parts that were only virtual instruments with no mic. I'm not sure how to solve this. I think it's because I increase the volume in the mastering process, but why would that create whitenoise? Thanks for your help.



Old 1 week ago
  #2
Check your entire signal chain. Make sure you are using balanced cables for everything that needs balanced connections and make sure the cables are not damaged in any way. Get a cable checker. Every studio needs one.
Make sure you are properly grounded, The studio needs to have good grounds.
Make sure everything is connected to one wall wart.
Make sure your audio cables are not crossing or near any electric cables

CJ
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Gear Nut
 
fracturematt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Check your entire signal chain. Make sure you are using balanced cables for everything that needs balanced connections and make sure the cables are not damaged in any way. Get a cable checker. Every studio needs one.
Make sure you are properly grounded, The studio needs to have good grounds.
Make sure everything is connected to one wall wart.
Make sure your audio cables are not crossing or near any electric cables

CJ
I bet it's my power supply. Currently using this
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
Perhaps some plug-ins emulating "analog"?
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Quote:
I bet it's my power supply. Currently using this
No, I would not put any money on that bet. I've dealt with these issues and fixed them many times over the past 20 years. What you are describing is electrical from outside your PC.
Quote:
My songs have whitenoise throughout. Even parts that were only virtual instruments with no mic.
Definitely electrical. It might not even be printed onto your tracks, as it might just be running through your system...
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Gear Addict
 
Murky Waters's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturematt View Post
This seems embarassingly n00b. My songs have whitenoise throughout. Even parts that were only virtual instruments with no mic. I'm not sure how to solve this. I think it's because I increase the volume in the mastering process, but why would that create whitenoise? Thanks for your help.



I do not hear any.

Define 'whitenoise'.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Gear Nut
 

The white noise is pretty audible in the beginning. But as more sounds are introduced the noise seems to become part of the music, although I know this isn’t what you were trying to accomplish. Seems as though a little process of elimination is required. Solo every track until the culprit shows its ugly face. VST’s have been known to have a bit of noise built into the sound, which would have to be surgically removed. If enough of these VST’s build up in a session, the noise would be incredibly audible, forcing the use of noise plugins, which make things sound very unnatural. Compression will just make the noise even louder. So before touching the master bus, I would search for the problem, and fix it early in the mix. Any effects used without fixing the issue would just attenuate the noise.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies

Forum Jump
Forum Jump