The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What specs should I care about when talking about D.I (Direct Box)? Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

What specs should I care about when talking about D.I (Direct Box)?

Hey guys,

For example, I know my interface have internal circuits that work like D.I for when I need to record a guitar (they convert my high impedance guitar into a low impedance line level signal). But how can I know when I can use an external D.I which is way better than the one inside my interface? What specs should I care about to make this kind of choice?

Thanks,
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Music Box View Post
Hey guys,

For example, I know my interface have internal circuits that work like D.I for when I need to record a guitar (they convert my high impedance guitar into a low impedance line level signal). But how can I know when I can use an external D.I which is way better than the one inside my interface? What specs should I care about to make this kind of choice?

Thanks,
Try them both and listen.

You.could alsp give males and models of your equipment. What makrs you exyermal DIs ate superrior?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
The first specs i look at when looking for a DI or choosing a DI to use is if its Passive or Active.
Quote:
But how can I know when I can use an external D.I which is way better than the one inside my interface? What specs should I care about to make this kind of choice?
Try your interfaces Hi-Z input and then Try a DI box with the audio interfaces line in and/or mic pre and see what you like the best. That is the only way for you to know what You like better.

If you ask 100 people what they like better in this scenario. 33.3 would like the DI, 33.3 would like the DI into a line in and 33.3 would like the DI box into a mic pre
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Fwiw - I had problems with noise on a Scarlett 2i2 when found di with that interface. I bought a passive di box and it solved the noise problem and, to me, made the guitar seem more forward, in a pleasant way.

I kept reading about countryman type85 di boxes - has a battery, can use guitar amp speaker out (and then plug speaker into it - have to have a load or you might damage the amp) and active. Looked on eBay and got one. I liked it better as it was even more pronounced

I have heard if you are using an active guitar (needs a battery because of built in preamp) that you should use a passive di, and if you use a passive guitar that you should use an active di.

I am glad I have both.

I haven’t tried putting the di in front of an external pre - just interface pre so far.

This is my limited newb experience and if I have something wrong I hope someone will correct me. I hope it helps in some way.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I understand the "try and listen" point of view... but when you need to buy a D.I you will not be able to try it and listen, so you must have some kind of parameter that tells you this D.I is a good choice, better than the ones inside the interface, and so on...

Doesn't this kind of spec exist? What makes a brand D.I better than other brand D.I?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Guitar Center (and I am sure others) has a return policy - I got mine to handle the hum issue and it worked. I also noticed I experienced the benefit of increased clarity. At least to my own ears.

If it didn’t handle the hum, I would have taken it back.

Other than a thumbs up/down on what my ears hear, I have no other metric for testing.

My purchase of the countryman type-85 was based upon multiple recommendations in almost every thread regarding di boxes and a gamble on a cheap used one on eBay.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Music Box View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks,
It's more about the instrument. With an active instrument that has a gainstage, or a battery in it, you probably won't notice any appreciable sonic difference between a low-to-mid priced standalone DI and the one in your interface. With a passive source like a battery-less guitar or bass, there can be a big difference.

Limiting the discussion to passive DI's (with no active circuitry and no power supply) the transformers in them can range from minuscule and cheap to larger and more expensive. The larger ones tend not to roll off as much low end, and yield a subjectively fuller, warmer sound.

Active DI's get the job done a whole 'nother way, and I don't know nearly enough to address it. The DI in your interface, btw, is probably active.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search