The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bypass internal preamps for external or not? HELP! Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Bypass internal preamps for external or not? HELP!

Hello audio fellas! Sorry for any possible mistakes - i`m from Ukraine and i don`t use any translators.
I bought a Neumann TLM 102 today and i want to use an external preamp to get the best perfomance from my microphone. First i was about to purchase Apollo Twin with Neve 1073 emulation but i read a review on a german website about Golden Age Audio Pre-73 Premier and they gave to it 5 stars. In their test Pre-73 sounded superior next to Apollo emulation. So i decided to go with Pre-73 Premier. But i have some question because of my low knowledges. I saw a good interface like Audient iD22 and iD44 and as i understand they can fully bypass the internal preamps. But they are little bit expensive for me (because i bought Neumann and then will buy GAP Pre-73, so my budget is not very big for buying an expensive audio interface). On the other side i can see Steinberg UR242 (more than twice cheaper than Audient) which does have Line Inputs by they don`t bypass internal preamps and converters are also worse. So please clarify it for me - what will be better way to archive the best perfomance from GAP Pre-73 + TLM 102 combo? To collect more money and finally purchase one of Audient interfaces because they can fully bypass internal preamps and they have the better converters or just to go with cheaper UR242 which does have line inputs but can`t bypass preamps and have the worse converters. Does Audient`s ability of bypassing the internal preamps will give me any advantages or it will bring me the same result as simlpy going GAP Pre-73 directly into the line inputs of UR242? Bypass or not bypass, that is the question ! Does it play any role for getting a better sound quality? And how the converters matters? This is very important for me because i try to get the best result as possible! Help me! Thank you guys!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search