The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tech Help: Audio Interface Playback on Adobe Audition
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Tech Help: Audio Interface Playback on Adobe Audition

Hey folks! I'm very new here but my VO Coach recommended I come here to ask my weird technical question. I'm new to VO, about 9 months in, and am still very much in the learning process about the recording/mastering side of things.

So here's my issue. I've picked up an Audient ID14 to route into adobe audition on a windows 10 machine. I've got it where I can monitor in real time at 2048 samples at 48khz using the ASIO drivers that come with the ID14.

The problem is that I can't get audition to playback through the ID14 into my monitor headphones. I've tried numerous iterations of output mapping through Edit -> Preferences -> Audio Channel mapping but nothing is routing back out to my headphones.

My google-fu has failed me. Any help would be appreciated. And thank you kindly in advance!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

So you can achieve real-time monitoring using your interface, but not playback? I assume you've successfully recorded with the interface, at least. Does the interface play back with programs other than Audition?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Quote:
The problem is that I can't get audition to playback through the iD14 into my monitor headphones. I've tried numerous iterations of output mapping through Edit -> Preferences -> Audio Channel mapping but nothing is routing back out to my headphones.
Make sure your Master bus is directed to your main outs 1/2. You prob just need to configure the routing in your DAW or in your cue mix or both
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Here for the gear
 

edited, didn't see these responses first:

Poinzy, yes I can achieve real-time monitoring but not playback and I have successfully recorded with the interface. I only use the interface audio for recording, playback and monitoring and not for day to day computer usage, but I can certainly futz around and see if I can simply hearing through the interface elsewhere.

CJ, I'm going to need to do some extra research to understand what you're asking me to do, but I'll have a look into it. E.g. I'm not sure what a master bus or cue mix is. (The tech side of all this is still very new to me)

Thank you both for the quick replies, I'll get to work and report back.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

It's possible that Audient's ASIO drivers are buggy. I don't know how recent your version of Audition is. That might be a factor as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Yeah, so it's looking like, for some reason I'm not getting sound back out of the DAI. It monitors just fine, but doesn't output any sound on playback, or when for example watching youtube videos. I can see the Windows Sound Settings volume bar bouncing around but no output coming to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

Got me beat.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Hard same Thanks for taking the time!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

So in here: Edit > Preferences > Audio Hardware you have the Audient ASIO selected as driver and outs 1/2 assigned?

If the Windows volume bar is bouncing around then you probably are using Windows drivers (WDM), not ASIO.

And if you want to hear Youtube etc out the iD you need to set the iD as default audio device in Windows sound....then it would also work for Audition set to WDM....but ASIO is a better option.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

Normally, when I go into an audio program, I just select the specific ASIO device, and I'm all done. Recording, playback -- everything works. This makes me wonder what's going on with Audition, because setup for a relatively simple thing like an Audient iD14 shouldn't be this difficult, IMO.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
So in here: Edit > Preferences > Audio Hardware you have the Audient ASIO selected as driver and outs 1/2 assigned?

If the Windows volume bar is bouncing around then you probably are using Windows drivers (WDM), not ASIO.

And if you want to hear Youtube etc out the iD you need to set the iD as default audio device in Windows sound....then it would also work for Audition set to WDM....but ASIO is a better option.
Hey Stella,

Thanks!


So here's an image capture of my preferences Audio Hardware


And Preferences -> Audio Channel Mapping

I don't need to run other sounds through the iD, I've got a half-decent sound card as well for general audiophile listening stuffs. It would just be nice to hear through the iD for purposes other than monitoring.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanSarah View Post


So here's an image capture of my preferences Audio Hardware


And Preferences -> Audio Channel Mapping

I don't need to run other sounds through the iD, I've got a half-decent sound card as well for general audiophile listening stuffs. It would just be nice to hear through the iD for purposes other than monitoring.
Do the settings in iD14 control panel match what you have in Audition...sample rate in particular?

And do you see any meters in the iD mixer app moving while playing back from audition?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Do the settings in iD14 control panel match what you have in Audition...sample rate in particular?

And do you see any meters in the iD mixer app moving while playing back from audition?
I just reconfirmed, sample rates are synced between windows settings, id14 settings and audition settings.

I see nothing moving in the mixer app when doing playback.

And new fun fact. Now I can't hear playback with any of the three driver settings. Flergh, the plot thickens.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanSarah View Post
I just reconfirmed, sample rates are synced between windows settings, id14 settings and audition settings.

I see nothing moving in the mixer app when doing playback.

And new fun fact. Now I can't hear playback with any of the three driver settings. Flergh, the plot thickens.
I'm not following.....what driver settings did you have sound with before. You haven't mentioned having sound at any point...just that you couldn't get any sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
I'm not following.....what driver settings did you have sound with before. You haven't mentioned having sound at any point...just that you couldn't get any sound.
Oh! Sorry! When I first got the id14 I was using the WASPI drivers until I realized that I *could* be using the ASIO ones. All this started when I tried to make that switch.

With the WASPI drivers I could hear playback through audition. But today when I went back over to WDME just to see if I still could hear, it no longer worked.

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks again for taking the time. I'm very new to the technical side of recording and it's very likely I'm missing some simple switch or lever somewhere that's obvious to most experienced folks.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Have you tried power cycling the iD....my iD22 has a tendency to lose connection now and again...though usually it reconnects itself. Maybe even try a different USB port and/or cable.

I don't see anything obvious you're doing wrong. Maybe you could screencap the iD mixer with system panel open as that's the only thing we haven't seen yet.

Other than that I would take it back to absolute basics for fault finding. So make sure all programs are closed, o/s freshly booted, iD is set as Windows audio default and then try YT audio.
Check the iD mixer. If you don't see any movement with such a basic setup then it suggests either a fault with hardware or connection.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #17
Here for the gear
 

I will try power cycling it now, if that doesn't work i'll do the back to basics approach For additional reference here's the iD interface setting screencap
Old 4 weeks ago
  #18
Here for the gear
 

power cycling did it! thank you all and man alive am I relived
Old 4 weeks ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanSarah View Post
I will try power cycling it now, if that doesn't work i'll do the back to basics approach For additional reference here's the iD interface setting screencap
No problem in the iD app.
I'm running out of ideas unless the fault finding throws up something!

Ahh...posted simultaneously. Good news!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

Noted.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
The Press Desk / Video Production and Post-Production
2
Spidernett / Music Computers
2
digidandy / So Much Gear, So Little Time
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump