The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to synthesize clean and professionally?
Old 16th May 2019
  #1
Gear Head
 
fatassj's Avatar
 

How to synthesize clean and professionally?

Hey, I’m starting off with Sytrus because it came with FL studio. I also own Omnisphere but I don’t like the idea of presets, except for learning. I want to create my sound from scratch. I’m Watching YouTube, reading tutorials, and getting experience.

Do you guys have any recommendations for other programs to buy while I save up for expensive analog? I know there are other types of synthesis. Should I care about mixing, effects, plug-ins yet? Can you guys drop some so I can add some fun to my projects while I focus on learning digital synthesis? I’m making this thread for the future. I know I should just focus atm.

My goal here is to make pop and hip hop. I like 808s, I like Finneas’ work a lot with Billie Eilish, I like Joey Little, to name a few. I also love guitar but that’s aside the question a good music theory knowledge will help ofc.

My long term goal is to become a producer, or a mixer or masterer. I’m just getting my feet wet.
Old 16th May 2019
  #2
Quote:
Should I care about mixing, effects, plug-ins yet?
My goal here is to make pop and hip hop. I like 808s, I like Finneas’ work a lot with Billie Eilish, I like Joey Little, to name a few. I also love guitar but that’s aside the question a good music theory knowledge will help ofc.
If your goal is to record and mix your songs yourself, then you should study audio engineering first, so you get a grasp on the big big giant picture of audio engineering and then that will give you a base to start learning how to mix. If you are impatient, you will need to tame that impulse and make little goals for you to reach each week.
Then i would go onto learning music theory, if you plan on writing and arranging music. An example of music theory, is that if you want to create something sad, you would play flat notes, as those seem to have the feeling of sadness, when arranged correctly. That's just one example out of a million little things that are involved.
Old 16th May 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
I'd say you have all you need to start and have fun. Make and find ish tracks, then play them to people open-mindedly and see what they seem drawn to or repelled from! Get stuck in and go for it. That's my 2c.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
mark1971's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatassj View Post
t I don’t like the idea of presets, except for learning.
Effects presets are usually really well thought out. When you tweak them, as they always need tweaking, you learn how to build your own algorithms.

The presets in my synths are actually sampled instruments. I like more instruments from different ethnicities. More presets the better.

When I play live my Roland Fantom does go through a preamp first. I do not go direct to PA. A preamp to control line level helps out a ton before the mixer.Nice and clean, up front, strong.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Head
 
fatassj's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
If your goal is to record and mix your songs yourself, then you should study audio engineering first, so you get a grasp on the big big giant picture of audio engineering and then that will give you a base to start learning how to mix. If you are impatient, you will need to tame that impulse and make little goals for you to reach each week.
Then i would go onto learning music theory, if you plan on writing and arranging music. An example of music theory, is that if you want to create something sad, you would play flat notes, as those seem to have the feeling of sadness, when arranged correctly. That's just one example out of a million little things that are involved.
Thank you. Currently, I make random songs and learn to make them sound clean, but I am limited creatively to whatever I can get out of VSTs and copyrighted sound packs, and want to buy digital or analog synths for pop and hip hop.

How may I study audio engineering? by googling and reading websites dedicated to it? Are there books we recommend on gearslutz?

For music theory, I am currently studying text book recommendations I get.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Gear Head
 
fatassj's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
I'd say you have all you need to start and have fun. Make and find ish tracks, then play them to people open-mindedly and see what they seem drawn to or repelled from! Get stuck in and go for it. That's my 2c.
That’s great advice. Back to the lab :$
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Gear Head
 
fatassj's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1971 View Post
Effects presets are usually really well thought out. When you tweak them, as they always need tweaking, you learn how to build your own algorithms.

The presets in my synths are actually sampled instruments. I like more instruments from different ethnicities. More presets the better.

When I play live my Roland Fantom does go through a preamp first. I do not go direct to PA. A preamp to control line level helps out a ton before the mixer.Nice and clean, up front, strong.
Oh ok. That’s thought out. I’ll take more note of the presets that come with Fruity Loops and Omnisphere especially - all I have at the moment. I was just itching for genuine new sounds.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Quote:
Oh ok. That’s thought out. I’ll take more note of the presets that come with Fruity Loops and Omnisphere especially - all I have at the moment. I was just itching for genuine new sounds.
DO NOT listen to that. Read more of his (mark) post in different threads and youll see..

Presets were made by a person who doesn't have no idea what sounds you like and what sounds will fit your mix/song
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
mark1971's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatassj View Post
Oh ok. That’s thought out. I’ll take more note of the presets that come with Fruity Loops and Omnisphere especially - all I have at the moment. I was just itching for genuine new sounds.
Cool, not familiar with those. I used Oatmeal for a Midi synth. Do they have a random button? Oatmeal has a random button, to keep coming up with completely random preset settings for new sound creation.

Oatmeal is free. random sounds are inspiring. keep hitting the button to create something new, get close to something that grabs you and go with it..

I use physical keyboards more. There is EZ Keys and some Addictive Keys software I use, that is fun to play the Rhodes sim on a MIDI controller.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
linzo / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
0
killsganti / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
46
bentley14 / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
4
randomguy / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
4
MattSimpson / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump