The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LFO bass line
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

LFO bass line

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V2upTzAFQrk

At 2:24 is the bass line. I'm stumped I've tried almost everything I can think of.. I tried an LFO to envelope and filter and resonance/cut off. I tried looping the LFO and then retriggering it, how does it get that awesome whooping sound but still able to do an epic pitch bend up and down a whole octaves without hearing the LFO or whatever is making the filter sweep so drastically

Because I don't think a normal envelope generator can make a filter sweep that much, or maybe I'm just doing something completely wrong. Please help.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Here's what I hear:

Listen to the last note of the wobbly sequence. It's like an up-then-down envelope, i.e. slow attack, then slow decay, tied to the filter cutoff or filter cutoff and osc pitch. I believe that this filter/osc envelope remains consistent per note.

I sounds like an LFO, but I think it's just note-retriggering, meaning the bassline consists of several notes played staccato. Add in some portamento, and I think you got it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Noted! Thanks for the quick feed back. I've been obsessing over this one for some time.

Edit: I always thought the up an down was a pitch bend wheel, but I'll work on it some more with what you said in mind
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Okay so the thing is I can't get the whooping sound with the filter on a short sustain to give me the open sound when the melody goes up and down at the end like you stated.

Is it possible he wrote two patches and then combined them in ableton( the daw he uses) somehow. Like just made a patch for the whooping sound and then wrote an identical synth patch with the filter opened without a low sustain to get the full bend at the end?

Again... Stumped
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hmm. Upon further review, maybe it's more portamento action between notes than a filter/osc effect. How about tying portamento time to the mod wheel and varying the amount as the notes are played? It seems like the the bassline may actually only be two notes, just one or two octaves apart to give enough "portamento slide" between them.

What synth are you using? Soft or hardware?

I'll give it my own shot tomorrow using my trusty Virus Ti2.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Retra View Post
Hmm. Upon further review, maybe it's more portamento action between notes than a filter/osc effect. How about tying portamento time to the mod wheel and varying the amount as the notes are played? It seems like the the bassline may actually only be two notes, just one or two octaves apart to give enough "portamento slide" between them.

What synth are you using? Soft or hardware?

I'll give it my own shot tomorrow using my trusty Virus Ti2.
Right now I'm just bouncing between abletons operator and analog soft synths. I was thinking that also that's he's probably only using one or two notes and might be using glide.

Also thanks a bunch for trying to crack this sound design with me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike1191 View Post
Also thanks a bunch for trying to crack this sound design with me.
You're welcome! It's probably more simple than you think...more effort in the performance as opposed to sound/patch design! Sometimes the simple tricks are the good ones!

EDIT: The bass sound does indeed sound a little Operator'y. May be a little FM action in there...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search