The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitoring sounds different than playback - Interface v. Audition
Old 14th May 2019
Here for the gear

Monitoring sounds different than playback - Interface v. Audition

This might be a dumb question. But, I have a focusrite 18i20, when monitoring my vocals always seem to have more bass than when I playback my recording from adobe audition. I've tested this with 7506 up to hd800s, always sounds different. Is there a setting I should be checking in audition or something that has to do with USB why my playback would be different from direct monitoring?

My playback device is my focusritebas well so it is my recording and playback device and headphones are hooked up to it.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1kki6 View Post
This might be a dumb question. But, I have a focusrite 18i20, when monitoring my vocals always seem to have more bass than when I playback my recording from adobe audition. I've tested this with 7506 up to hd800s, always sounds different. Is there a setting I should be checking in audition or something that has to do with USB why my playback would be different from direct monitoring?

My playback device is my focusritebas well so it is my recording and playback device and headphones are hooked up to it.
It’s possible that while you’re recording you are hearing both your direct and your track monitor signal.
Old 15th May 2019
You may also be hearing bleed from your voice in the room as well as your inner voice - in other words, you re hearing more while tracking and that affects the tone overall.
Old 16th May 2019
Here for the gear

I'm not sure it just me hearing my own voice and I know I am not hearing both my direct and track. I can turn down the direct input monitoring in the control panel and my vocals go away. But when on it's has a lot more bass. The recording sounds more accurate, I have tested with myself and others, but it's infuriating when trying to dial it in through just the headphones prior to recording.
Old 16th May 2019
Quote:
when monitoring my vocals always seem to have more bass than when I playback my recording from Adobe Audition.
When you are recording yourself singing and monitoring the sound you are recording in the headphones, while you are singing, you need to take into account the sound inside your head, as you hear yourself.

You are always going to sound more bassy than what you recording onto a track when recording yourself and monitoring yourself at the same exact time.
This is why when you hear your ACTUAL voice after its recorded, it always sounds funny to that person, because he is hearing his voice without hearing it inside himself also.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search