The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixing samples peaking same but one sound louder than the other?
Old 14th May 2019
Here for the gear

Mixing samples peaking same but one sound louder than the other?

Hi, I have a question. So I try to mix together a few loops together but I don’t seem to get them to sound together because one sounds louder than the other even tho they peak at the same level. What is going on there, m and how do I approach this?
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear
Loudness has nothing to do with peaks.
Use your ears.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Yes. Use your ears. Are you making music for people to measure by looking at a meter or for people to listen to?
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by magik87 View Post
Hi, I have a question. So I try to mix together a few loops together but I don’t seem to get them to sound together because one sounds louder than the other even tho they peak at the same level. What is going on there, m and how do I approach this?
Apparent level, generally measured in LUFS, different from peak level. You can use a plug-in that shows you apparent and peak levels to see the data for yourself. Try compressing the less loud one.
Old 14th May 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

They might peak at the same level but the RMS or VU readings probably won't be the same. There we go, I've thrown loads of confusing terms at you without explaining anything.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Maniac
what BT64 said of course. Remember, it's not just the peaks, there's the stuff between the peaks.
Imagine you've got two sports teams, both teams have one 7 foot high player and a bunch of shorter ones. Team A has mostly medium height (and one tall guy), Team B has mostly short-ish types (and one tall). Which team is tallest (on average)?
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear
And then there's the fletcher-munson curve as well to.
Old 15th May 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

I would read the thread on what vu meters are this will help you a lot and answer this question
Old 16th May 2019
Quote:
You can have 100 tracks with the same Peak dB levels and they all can be different loudness levels.
Peak dB and loudness are not the same..
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
turn the one that sounds louder down
turn the one that sounds softer up

don't hit the red

keep in mind that there is no rule that says two elements of a mix need to be "the same" apparent loudness, even if they perform the same function - such as the rhythm section. A mix is not a democracy. Put things up and down where they work best.

When mixing there are other tools you can use to make instruments sound "together" - not just the volume fader. Reverb for example. Buss compression is another. Even some basic cuts and boosts on the EQ can 'carve' space in one track to make room for the other.

As to the meters, the brain perceives loudness more as an average, not as a peak. If you balance an organ and a piano in a mix by ear, and look at the meters, the piano will peak much higher, but the piano can decay down to nothing - so the average is lower. The organ with its sustain never drops below "x" - so it seems just as loud with a much lower reading on the peak meter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search