The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to emulate these wide (yet transparent) vocals? Utility Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

How to emulate these wide (yet transparent) vocals?

Long time lurker; first time poster.

Having a tough time emulating the specific stereo widening technique on the vocals in the link below. I've checked it out with different analyzers and split the MS signals up, and at least half of the signal is on the sides, and hi-passed. The mid info is pretty veiled.

I've played around with different stereo spread plugins and can't get them to sound this transparent.

Please help a brother out. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XrE5dvJbeE
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

bump
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I'll have a shot...
There's some reverb/room on it, and that will spread the vocal. There are any number of other things that might be going on such as:

1. More than one reverb, each panned wide.
2. The track might be cloned several times with complementary eq on them (boost 1.5k a little one side and lower it a little on the other side, as an example) and each panned wide.
3. Cloned tracks each with their own reverb and eq, panned around.
4. Maybe some mid-side processing to spread some freqs out to the sides.

You are right - stereo wideners have a distinct sound, and that's not what this track sounds like.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

A touch of high-passed delay/reverb.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
I'll have a shot...
There's some reverb/room on it, and that will spread the vocal. There are any number of other things that might be going on such as:

1. More than one reverb, each panned wide.
2. The track might be cloned several times with complementary eq on them (boost 1.5k a little one side and lower it a little on the other side, as an example) and each panned wide.
3. Cloned tracks each with their own reverb and eq, panned around.
4. Maybe some mid-side processing to spread some freqs out to the sides.

You are right - stereo wideners have a distinct sound, and that's not what this track sounds like.
Reverb was the first thing I assumed, but if you solo the side signal, 90% of it is dry, albeit hi-passed (though you can hear a short reverb in there too).

I tried the complimentary/mirror EQ trick, and I can't get it to not sound phasey. Same with other stereo spread plugins.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I was looking for this for a long time as well, and then i found this plugin that solved it.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...on/imager.html
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiasSwe View Post
I was looking for this for a long time as well, and then i found this plugin that solved it.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...on/imager.html
I installed the free version, and I've been playing around with it for the past hour. Definitely cooler and more mono compatible than the other stereo width plugins I've tried, but I'm still getting that phase-y sound. You can hear the flanging between the left and right channels, and it shows on a vectorscope or goniometer. The vocals in the song I posted have no flanging effect whatsoever, and stay quite symmetrical on a goniometer.

This is pretty frustrating, especially seeing as how it's a bedroom recording with just a single, cheap LDC -- sounds too good.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Well the free version i havent tried. I dont get any phasey sound with this one. Thats why i like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Perez View Post
I installed the free version, and I've been playing around with it for the past hour. Definitely cooler and more mono compatible than the other stereo width plugins I've tried, but I'm still getting that phase-y sound. You can hear the flanging between the left and right channels, and it shows on a vectorscope or goniometer. The vocals in the song I posted have no flanging effect whatsoever, and stay quite symmetrical on a goniometer.

This is pretty frustrating, especially seeing as how it's a bedroom recording with just a single, cheap LDC -- sounds too good.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiasSwe View Post
Well the free version i havent tried. I dont get any phasey sound with this one. Thats why i like it.

I may have to bite the bullet, in that case...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Send me a vocal and i process it here and send it back so you can check if it works or not

Quote:

I may have to bite the bullet, in that case...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not everything is done in the box. This one simply has a decent sound tracking live.
If you're trying to get close mixing with dry signals then you'll have to find a short tight reverb with a living room ambiance
because that's exactly what they have going on there.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Send the dry vocal to an aux track with a short reverb panned to the left.
Old 1 week ago
I recognise this effect.

I discovered it many years ago when messing around with Voxengo Stereo Touch, which is a free plugin.

The effect you're hearing is caused by Haas delays that are mixed in with the original signal. These phase anomalies change the tonality and the perceived location and spread of the sound source. There are many techniques that you can use to do this. Stereo Touch makes this a breeze.

Haas delays are very short delays, often under 20ms that the ear naturally fuses with the original sound (i.e. doesn't create an obvious delay repeat).

Congratulations. You've just discovered one of the mixing secrets of the pro's.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
Not everything is done in the box. This one simply has a decent sound tracking live.
If you're trying to get close mixing with dry signals then you'll have to find a short tight reverb with a living room ambiance
because that's exactly what they have going on there.
I hear those tight reverbs, but that's not the stereo effect to which I'm referring. If you download the audio track from the link and get rid of the mid information, you'll hear that about half of the overall dry vocal signal (not the verb) is really symmetrical stereo processing, which has to have been done in the box, unless the mic she used is some fancy stereo mic disguised as a cheap LDC.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
I hear those tight reverbs, but that's not the stereo effect to which I'm referring. If you download the audio track from the link and get rid of the mid information, you'll hear that about half of the overall dry vocal signal (not the verb) is really symmetrical stereo processing, which has to have been done in the box, unless the mic she used is some fancy stereo mic disguised as a cheap LDC.
The download version is different from the audio posted on YouTube.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrixion View Post
The download version is different from the audio posted on YouTube.
By download I mean downloading the audio from the YouTube video with a youtube-to-mp3 website.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's even more impressive when you consider the microphone she is using doesn't have a cable attached!
Old 1 week ago
Those vocals sound to perfect. I'd say there's a good dose of pitch correction going on.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
It's even more impressive when you consider the microphone she is using doesn't have a cable attached!
HA! I didn't even see that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
HA! I didn't even see that.
Yeah, I catched that by chance Anyway, never trust what you see on youtube, trust your ears! I saw many videos (sometimes with cheap microphones well in view) with a very good sound in bad/untreated rooms, I think that's a sort of marketing strategy.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search