The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why are my vocal recordings still not sounding good enough?
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Everly Brothers were better vocalists.

John Lennon is rock n roll voice. There is something supernatural to his song presence, still to this day.

JEFF LYNNE!
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

I like Lynne (he collaborated with a few Beatles) but these sound like your personal favorites... not the greatest singers... like Dion, Streisand. Bassey, Rose. John had a voice but prolly not a great singer.. and he had Abbey road double tracking and the modern advantages of great producers etc.) In the day many many said Orbison. Everything is subjective. Subjectively I still like Morrison & Lennon. I do not think Morrison was TERRIBLE> He really connected with the song and audience and the times. Eric Burdon rarely gets mentioned. Tim Storms 10 Octave range! Yma Sumac had ridiculous range she could sing effortlessly in low baritone and above soprano in same section of a song - and split her voice... too (double voice) WOW although there is a technique to do this now...
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

What about Whitney Houston? I trade you, a Whitney for a Streisand. Houston could blow, way better than say Mariah Carey.

I liked Houston, Celene Dion, tip top voices. Aguilera is strong too, I like her body type than musical style. Same with Mariah squeaky song choice , but that silhouette is kicking.

I was talking more male rock voices for influence or comparison. What did they do to record their voices to capture the genres sound? It is more than a 1073 and 1176.
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

I ll take it one further.

How does Chumba Wumba get decent vocals? Or Paris Hilton? Or Kei$ha? Or Right said Fred? Or any piece of crap one hit no talent junk, stuck in peoples minds? You cannot tell me Paris is dedicated to the craft. Only enjoying the ride.

Yankovic, could seemingly mocking bird anybody in parody. The equipment made the voice recognizably similar for the song. The person only breathed a strong force into the microphone and a voltage was generated.
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Yea one-hit wonders and the like, kinda nail nail a unique sound or idea. The reason I got into production was the real opportunity to have creative control of the the molding of a songs sound. I was getting real tired of certain genres. I really enjoyed seeing Twenty One Pilots and bands like Hippocampus, Portugal. The Man - to Punk and Alternative starting to head in fresh directions. It has also been a blessing to me that genres were also including glitch and noise. For the fact my equipment is very lo-fi and in-expensive. I think certain vocals just really fit certain pieces of equipment really well and naturally. (But most of whats talked about is higher end) I really explore the anomalies of say King Harvests 'Dancin in the Moonlight'. How the producer/production really got that 'it' with unknown quantities. When artists start niche(ing) themselves I often get tired of them real fast. But the gravy train can be a trap artistically and its usually hard for them to get off it with obvious reasons. I love when an artist or producer says 'I have a real crazy idea' lol. I really think so many people are trying 'not to fail' and that to me is very boring. I loved how Chris Stapleton finally busted out. For me its that short one little phrase that the whole song is generally built around. Ha - like Cold Play saying I am gonna sing my song trying to emulate Willie Nelson - 'Yellow' 'this is a crazy idea' And a joke becomes a serious good song.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search