The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Will this improve my vox recordings Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 18th April 2019
Here for the gear

Will this improve my vox recordings

I currently don't use a DAW and just record straight onto a 24 track recorder.

For vocals i use a few different mikes thought none are top shelf. I can get OK sounding vocals but wondering if something like connecting and recording through a Roland Duo Capture EX will improve the sound of the vocals.

This is just for my own hobby and amusement, not a professional rig but I would like it to be as good as I can make it.

I understand that better microphones will give better results without a doubt, but can I expect any improvement by using existing microphones through something like the Roland?
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

Hard to tell whether the preamps are better or worse than your 24 track, considering you haven't shared what 24 track that might be. In my experience, the more devices I run vocals through, the more experience I gain regarding proximity. "Better" and "worse" are entirely subjective. What sounds 'worse' to you, may sound ''great'" to someone else who is seeking an entirely different sound.
Old 18th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
Hard to tell whether the preamps are better or worse than your 24 track, considering you haven't shared what 24 track that might be. In my experience, the more devices I run vocals through, the more experience I gain regarding proximity. "Better" and "worse" are entirely subjective. What sounds 'worse' to you, may sound ''great'" to someone else who is seeking an entirely different sound.
Cheers. I use a Zoom R24.

I think i'll just do a little experimenting and playing around and see what results I can get.

That's part of the fun, right?
Old 18th April 2019
Quote:
For vocals i use a few different mikes thought none are top shelf. I can get OK sounding vocals but wondering if something like connecting and recording through a Roland Duo Capture EX will improve the sound of the vocals.
Probably not. If you cannot get good sound with what you are originally doing, a subpar average pre-amp isn't going to make it better.

There are 2 issues to consider.

1. The position of the mic in the room. You need to find the best part of the room to record in. Not all corners, spaces and walls sound alike. This needs to be done way before the vocalist enters the room/studio by trial and error.
2. The other issue is position of the mic, to the singer.

There are other factors to consider that effect the sound.
One is the angle of the mic, to the singer and the other is the space between the mic and the singer. Both are very important factors.

The Proximity Effect - The closer the singer is to the mic, the more bass frequencies are enhanced. This can be used as a tool, by having the singer move closer or farther away from the mic, depending on the mood of the vocal passage.
Old 18th April 2019
Here for the gear

I played around tonight and did some comparisons. I can get a slightly better sound running Vox through the duo.

I then found an old Guyatone Compressor pedal I used to use in my band days and found that I was getting some very nice vocals recorded when I ran them through that too. They were louder, clearer, balanced and bright. Just what I was after.

I intend to play around with things some more but I’m already getting a much better sound.
Old 18th April 2019
Here for the gear

For good vox you gotta find the "sweet spot"

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search