The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Passive Monitors and Amps Studio Monitors
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Passive Monitors and Amps

While I know my fair share about audio I am writing here as I have no experience with passive studio-monitors and little knowledge about passive wiring and amp usage.

I would like to buy a pair of passive Avantone CLA-10 monitors and further down the road I will perhaps add one or two Avantone Mixcubes. Both are passive models, so if I am correct I need a 4CH-power-amp.

While there is a "dedicated" amp for the CLA-10s, that one is only 2 channels and very expensive. So I searched Thomann for 4CH amps (taking only 1 RU, which is important for me otherwise I need to buy a new rack-case) and found this one at an affordable price:

the t.amp D4-500 – Thomann Italia

However I see that this one (as well as most other amps) has only Speakon outputs, while the monitors I need to power have that other, smaller kind of connector for passive speakers which I can't find out how it is called.
Is there a way to connect a Speakon output to an input of that other type of connector or are these incompatible?

What else do I need to watch out for when searching an amp compatible to certain speakers (resistance, impedance etc)?

Any amp that you can recommend specifically for Avantone's passive speakers CLA-10 and Mixcube?
Old 4 weeks ago
You might want to try the ART SLA-4. The resistance of the speakers determines the current draw from the amp. You should find two power ratings for loads of 4 and 8 ohms.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

In the sense that they're all 2-conductor, all speaker connectors are compatible with each other. Including Speakon and banana. The only thing you need to look out for is not buying plugs or jacks that are too physically small to accommodate gigantic speaker cable.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

If the CLA-10's are anything like the NS-10's they emulate, which they claim to, a chunky amp is desirable. Many people use a Bryston 4B, which makes a very good combination with NS-10's, and is 250-watts per channel. I use a Crown PSA-2 (225 watts per channel). Suggest if you go for the mixcubes as well, that you get the active versions.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

What advantages do chunky amps have? Do they normally provied more watts?
Also I had already the active versions of the Mixcubes which I returned because of annoying humming and if I would get them again I would prefer the passive ones which certainly won't hum.

I have found this video which explains the topic pretty well:

YouTube

So as the CLA-10 and the Mixcubes are 4 8ohm loudspeakers, so if I understood correctly I need a 2ohm stable 4CH AMP. The aforementioned ART SLA-4 is the cheapest one that fits those criteria.

Further the Mixcubes list recommended power of 10 - 200 W so they should be easy to power. The CLA-10 specs however list no recommended power, just 60W program and 120W maximum. The guy in the video explained that the amplifier should always be between the Watt RMS and double that value so I guess I need an amplifier that when using only the CLA-10 delivers 60-120W at 4ohm and when using also the Mixcubes 60-120W at 2ohm.

The ART SLA 4 lists 4x140W at 4ohm, so I guess it delivers too much power for the CLA-10? And there is n listing at 2ohm so I don't know how it would behave when the Mixcubes are also connected.

Yet the dedicated Avantone CL-200 AMP lists 2x300W at 4ohm so according to my understanding it would be too much if the CLA-10 requires 2x120W at 4ohm.

I think I have misunderstood a few things and am still a bit confused. Could someone help me get this clear?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthbrass View Post
What advantages do chunky amps have?
Simply put, it's a fuller, cleaner, more effortless sound. Even at low volumes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Both speakers you mention are nominally 8-ohms. That is the impedance you should be using to match amplifier output. Generally, selecting an amplifier that can deliver twice the rated power of the speakers at their specified impedance is a good rule of thumb.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

So if the CLA-10s specs list “Power Capacity: Program - 60W, Maximum - 120W” and the Mixcubes “Recommended Power: 10 - 200W”, both models at nominal 8ohm, am correct in assuming that the best match to power 2 speakers of each model would be an AMP that lists 4 x 120W at 8 Ohm? So that I have double the average power drawn by the CLA-10s and give the Mixcubes an Amp that is nicely between 10 - 200 W? Or would i have to double the maximum power and thus need 240W per channel?

Edit: also, do I have to care about 2ohm stability? What is exactly happening if with the Impedance if I use multiple speakers?
Old 4 weeks ago
You won't damage your speakers with a powerful amp that exceeds the wattage rating. Don't worry about that. It really is a use what you need scenario. Most mid-range speakers are plenty efficient and can be driven loud without taxing the amp too much. More power means you can drive heavier loads without distortion. Each channel of an amplifier is independent, theoretically, in terms of power output. So you can drive as many speakers as channels without having to worry about speaker impedance adding up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Oh ok so I think an AMP with something like 4 x 250W at 8 Ohm would be more than enough for my needs.

These in the end seem to be the most affordable 4CH ones on Thomann that meet the specs:

1RU:
the t.amp D4-500 – Thomann

2RU:
the t.amp E4-250 – Thomann

As the 2RU one costs 100€ less, in the case a bulkier amp is preferable I might also invest those 100€ in getting an additional rack to accomodate it.
And seems like also the speakon outputs on both these (and most other affordable amps) are no issue as i might just buy a speakon cable and cut one end to make it end as bare wire for the speakers.

One last thing. I see there are various classes of amplifiers.. do these matter? Is one class preferable for studio monitors?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthbrass View Post
Oh ok so I think an AMP with something like 4 x 250W at 8 Ohm would be more than enough for my needs.

These in the end seem to be the most affordable 4CH ones on Thomann that meet the specs:

1RU:
the t.amp D4-500 – Thomann

2RU:
the t.amp E4-250 – Thomann

As the 2RU one costs 100€ less, in the case a bulkier amp is preferable I might also invest those 100€ in getting an additional rack to accomodate it.
And seems like also the speakon outputs on both these (and most other affordable amps) are no issue as i might just buy a speakon cable and cut one end to make it end as bare wire for the speakers.

One last thing. I see there are various classes of amplifiers.. do these matter? Is one class preferable for studio monitors?
Don't know those amps. They seem to be house brand PA amplifiers.

Fan noise may be a problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search