The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preamp-SM57-Acoustic instrument Dynamic Microphones
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

Preamp-SM57-Acoustic instrument

Hey folks,
The preface is that I’m a musician trying to improve my sound. I know very little of sound reinforcement.

I play banjo and mandolin and use an SM57 on stage. I’m lacking volume though. Especially now that the guitar player has an onboard pre and pickup.

So I’ve been investing preamps. We don’t have a rack, so rack mounts are out. From what I’ve read, I think I don’t want tube because I love the sound of my instruments. But I’m not closed to that. I’ve never heard what it would sound like.

Alas, I have no idea what to buy to boost my signal/control over my sound. I’ve looked at the in-line Dynamite D1, I think that’s it. And the Cloud C-1 among other things.

But I don’t understand all the lingo: impedance and ribbon mic, etc. So I don’t know what to buy. Most of the on stage type preamps are for guitarists with 1-4 inputs. So that rules out a bunch of those.

Thoughts? Any help would be great.

By the way. I’d love to find something $100-$200. I might do $300 if it would create some magic.

Thanks,
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear
Why can’t you just turn up your 57 at the mixer?
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

Our last gig, we had mine turned up as loud as it would go, or darn close. It worked but in my weak mind, I’m thinking that I should have more than that.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear
Is the sm57 signal on the mixer to low or do you need to turn the guitar back maybe?
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Is the sm57 signal on the mixer to low or do you need to turn the guitar back maybe?
Bingo! Turn the other channels down and turn the master up. That’s a standard practice when you have any channel fader all the way to the top.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search