The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Outdoor recording issues Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

Outdoor recording issues

We live near the shore and wanted to bring the sound of the lapping water and other "nature" sounds into the house. I couldn't find anything commercial that fit the bill, so tried a DYI solution.

I used a Behringer Xm8500 Dynamic Cardioid Microphone connected by 5 feet of cable to a Behringer Ultra-DI DI100 Battery/Phantom Powered DI-Box and then 150 feet of cable to a Behringer XENYX 502 mixer inside the house, then to my AV amp.

I waterproofed the mic as best I could and placed the DI box in a watertight container outside (in a very difficult to get to location). Although I had to crank the gain up quite a bit, the line noise wasn't too bad and we enjoyed the outside sounds inside the house for about two years.

Then one day there was more hum and noise than usual. It got rapidly worse and quickly became unusable. I suspected some water got into the outside components. I opened the waterproof box and although there was no water, there was some corrosion on the outside of the DI box and the XLR cable connectors. I assumed the electronics got corroded and bought a new DI box (and microphone for good measure). I replaced the equipment but the problem remains. Any ideas as to what happened? Do you have a recommendation for a better setup?

Thanks!
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear
Why do you use the direct box? The mic has a balanced XLR connector that can be connected through a standard XLR cable directly to the mic input of the mixer.
As to your question, the setup is simple to test. Buy or borrow a good cable. Use your voice to test the mic with the new cable directly into the mixer. If that works, check the mic wth your other cables. You probably have a corrosion problem with a cable connector or a cable that has somehow been damaged (stepped on, pinched or kinked).
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear
You may think that the phantom powered DI is helping boost your signal through the long cable, but that isn’t the case. Turn off the phantom power, ditch the DI and see what you’ve got.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search