The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Have an old synth i need to connect, help needed Studio Monitors
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Head

Have an old synth i need to connect, help needed

Hey guys. So today i just got an old synth basically for free and i need to connect it to my interface. What im wondering is if i got the cable connections right, since iv never played with a controller/synth before. Interface is umc404hd, keyboard is roland d70. I understand midi okay. So basically midi out from keyboard to midi in on the interface. Where it gets tricky for me is the audio outs on the keyboard since it has a lot of those... so it has both direct out and mix out L, R and i dont know which one to use. I ordered 2 ts guitar cables to connect my left and right output to my inputs on the interface.I hope thats the right way to do it ? What do you guys think abou the roland d70. The weight and the price kinda surprised me for an old synth
Old 16th April 2019
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky Waters View Post
I know about the manual, i was basically asking if im using the right cables, and connecting them okay. I don't wonna read through 50 pages of a manual just to use something. I'm pretty shure there's someone here, that knows the answers to my questions...
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareSLO View Post
I know about the manual, i was basically asking if im using the right cables, and connecting them okay. I don't wonna read through 50 pages of a manual just to use something. I'm pretty shure there's someone here, that knows the answers to my questions...
One page. Page 16.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
One page. Page 16.
So if im reading the picture ok, the text is all blurry... its basically mix out l and r to my line inputs on the interface ? Guitar cable is ok for that right ?
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
So if im reading the picture ok, the text is all blurry... its basically mix out l and r to my line inputs on the interface ? Guitar cable is ok for that right ?
Right.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Right.
Thank you for not being too murky
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

So i got the cables and midi is working fine through studio one using different samples etc... But i still cannot get the inbuilt synth sounds to be played over my monitors. I connected my mix out l and r on the synth to my line iputs 3 and 4 on the interface. The volume is turned half way up on the synth, and the gain on both inputs is about half way up also. What am i missing here ? Im setting this up for the first time, so excuse my noobishness.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
so it has both direct out and mix out L, R and i dont know which one to use.
use mix out Left and Right.

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
use mix out Left and Right.

Buddha
If you actually read my previous post, you would have realized i'v already done so, and there's still no sound coming out from my monitors. Maybe there's something i need to setup on my roland or something, i have no idea. That's why im asking around here.

Last edited by mareSLO; 4 weeks ago at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Adding pic
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

So guys, i'v been asking around and it seems that nobody can provide an answer. The sound is definetely outputing if im playing through my headphones. Is it possible it's something with my interface ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I have neither piece of gear, but based on experience with other interfaces & synths:

- when you say "midi is working fine through studio one using different samples", do you mean you're able to record midi data from the synth in your daw, and that when you route that midi to a virtual instrument within your daw and play it back you get sound out your monitors?

- when you say "sound is definetely outputing if im playing through my headphones", do you mean your headphones are plugged into the audio headphone jack on the Behringer or on the synth? And do you mean while playing something back from the daw, or while playing the synth?

- sometimes it's the basics: On the Behringer, there's a Mix knob that varies the played back signal between direct sound and playback sound, try it; we assume the Main Out knob is turned up at least some; tried Line versus Inst settings on the imputs? (careful! volume down to change); does the signal indicator (Sig) light up when you play the synth?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicus View Post
I have neither piece of gear, but based on experience with other interfaces & synths:

- when you say "midi is working fine through studio one using different samples", do you mean you're able to record midi data from the synth in your daw, and that when you route that midi to a virtual instrument within your daw and play it back you get sound out your monitors?

- when you say "sound is definetely outputing if im playing through my headphones", do you mean your headphones are plugged into the audio headphone jack on the Behringer or on the synth? And do you mean while playing something back from the daw, or while playing the synth?

- sometimes it's the basics: On the Behringer, there's a Mix knob that varies the played back signal between direct sound and playback sound, try it; we assume the Main Out knob is turned up at least some; tried Line versus Inst settings on the imputs? (careful! volume down to change); does the signal indicator (Sig) light up when you play the synth?

1. yes

2. When the headphones are plugged to the sytnth directly i can definetly hear the sound. I haven't tried the other way around.

3. The mix knob is always set all the way to the right, i might try different positions. The sig light does not light up, on either input 3 and 4. I will try setting it to instrument. I thought the instrument switch/pad is only supposed to be used when you'r playing something like the guitar for example. The inputs 3 and 4 are just fine, when i plug in my guitar, the signal light lights up just fine, when i have enough gain...

Tnx for the suggestions, will report back.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Ok so i tried both the line and inst switch, no difference. Changin the mix knob doesnt do anything. Tried playing through my monitors and my headphones, no difference.... So i basically just tried everything i can think off... Unfortunately my monitors dont have line ins, only xlr, rca, so i cant connect the synth directly on there...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

- I Hooked up a synth (Yamaha) to my UMC404HD using 'instrument' cables to ins 3 and 4 Line ins, pad not enabled
- Gains on 404HD at about 12 o'clock to get SIG LED into green when playing a chord on the synth
- 404HD 'MIX' control full CCW
- Monitors (JBL LSR305's) connected to 404HD 'MAIN OUT's via 1/4" jacks
- Increased 'Main Out' control on 404HD to get reasonable listening level.
- Did not have 404HD connected USB to computer. Computer evidently not needed for 404HD when used like this.

Yes you'll use 'MIX OUT' on the D-70 with a pair of TS type cables (instrument cables OK)

Take one of the cables out of the D-70 and touch your finger to the tip of the plug while turning up the gain on the channel to which the other end of that cable is plugged into. You may need to go to max on the gain, but the green SIG LED should light and you should hear hum in the monitors.

Question........
- Are you actually playing the keys on the D-70 or trying to get MIDI from a computer to play the D-70?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
- I Hooked up a synth (Yamaha) to my UMC404HD using 'instrument' cables to ins 3 and 4 Line ins, pad not enabled
- Gains on 404HD at about 12 o'clock to get SIG LED into green when playing a chord on the synth
- 404HD 'MIX' control full CCW
- Monitors (JBL LSR305's) connected to 404HD 'MAIN OUT's via 1/4" jacks
- Increased 'Main Out' control on 404HD to get reasonable listening level.
- Did not have 404HD connected USB to computer. Computer evidently not needed for 404HD when used like this.

Yes you'll use 'MIX OUT' on the D-70 with a pair of TS type cables (instrument cables OK)

Take one of the cables out of the D-70 and touch your finger to the tip of the plug while turning up the gain on the channel to which the other end of that cable is plugged into. You may need to go to max on the gain, but the green SIG LED should light and you should hear hum in the monitors.

Question........
- Are you actually playing the keys on the D-70 or trying to get MIDI from a computer to play the D-70?

From what you wrote maybe my problem is the gain itself. I haven't tried maxing in out yet, and the signal light hasn't turned green so far. Will try it, see what happens. No im actually playing the keys on the synth. I would like to get the integrated synth sounds to be heard over the speakers, not the ones that are produced by my daw, with for example something like presence plugin. If i load up a piano sound through presence in studio one, i can easily play something via my synth, and the sound is heard over my monitors, but that is not what i'm aiming for. Will report back.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The MIX OUT and Headphone jacks are on a common left and right buss. If the headphone jack on the D-70 works the Mix Outs should as well unless for some reason the 'MUTE' circuit function is buggered and muting the Mix Out all the time. Move one of the cables from the D-70 Mix Out jack and plug it into the headphones jack. Plugging it into the headphone jack which I believe you said worked should give something into the 404HD. It will just be a mono signal, but may show if the 404HD is getting something for signal.

The service manual screenshot shows the headphones and mix out circuits if you can follow it.
Attached Thumbnails
Have an old synth i need to connect, help needed-d70-mix.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The signal level out the Mix and Direct will be less than the headphone out, but you should get something. The 'Mute' circuit does mute the Direct outs also. Do you have any sort of amp you can plug the D-70 Mix outs into just to double check the output?

You can use the headphones out with a cable like below and it will give left and right. Get one in a length that works best.
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-STP-201-.../dp/B000068O1N 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TS split
Was the D-70 an eBay or local shop purchase?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
The MIX OUT and Headphone jacks are on a common left and right buss. If the headphone jack on the D-70 works the Mix Outs should as well unless for some reason the 'MUTE' circuit function is buggered and muting the Mix Out all the time. Move one of the cables from the D-70 Mix Out jack and plug it into the headphones jack. Plugging it into the headphone jack which I believe you said worked should give something into the 404HD. It will just be a mono signal, but may show if the 404HD is getting something for signal.

The service manual screenshot shows the headphones and mix out circuits if you can follow it.

Ok so i tried your suggestions. Im getting good signal out of both inputs(green light). But it seems my synth is only pruducing sound if im running my cables out of headphone output on the synth. Plugging them into mix mix out does not produce any sounds, and neither does direct out... But running from headphone output is only outputing sound in mono, and only getting sound from one speaker is not really usable for me. So you think it's the mute circuit function that is at fault here, and probably nothing i can fix by myself ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
The signal level out the Mix and Direct will be less than the headphone out, but you should get something. The 'Mute' circuit does mute the Direct outs also. Do you have any sort of amp you can plug the D-70 Mix outs into just to double check the output?

You can use the headphones out with a cable like below and it will give left and right. Get one in a length that works best.
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-STP-201-.../dp/B000068O1N 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TS split
Was the D-70 an eBay or local shop purchase?
Im always in the middle of replying when you comment Ok i see. Maybe ill just use it with that cable instead. Im afraid i dont have any synth amps lying around. I do have a headhphone amp am not currently using, but that only has headphone inputs, and no line in inputs...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ok so i tried your suggestions. Im getting good signal out of both inputs(green light). But it seems my synth is only pruducing sound if im running my cables out of headphone output on the synth. Plugging them into mix mix out does not produce any sounds, and neither does direct out... But running from headphone output is only outputing sound in mono, and only getting sound from one speaker is not really usable for me. So you think it's the mute circuit function that is at fault here, and probably nothing i can fix by myself ?
Synth might be defective. Try a factory reset.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=roland+d70+factory+reset
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Synth might be defective. Try a factory reset.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=roland+d70+factory+reset
I did the factory reset, and some things definetely changed. Like me loosing my inbuilt songs. Now all that remains are the tracks on the pcm card!!! Is there a way i can get them back ? What i did find out, is if i use the headphones out now, the sound is outputting from both speakers, if i set my interface to mono, and turn the mix knob all the way to the left. It did not do that before. Oh and mix out is still not working...

Last edited by mareSLO; 3 weeks ago at 06:59 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did the factory reset, and some things definetely changed. Like me loosing my inbuilt songs. Now all that remains are the tracks on the pcm card!!! Is there a way i can get them back ? What i did find out, is if i use the headphones out now, the sound is outputting from both speakers, if i set my interface to mono, and turn the mix knob all the way to the left. It did not do that before. Oh and mix out is still not working...
Setting the interface to 'mono' will give sound from both speakers, but not stereo. If the D-70 has stereo effects, the effects will not have a stereo image and will not sound as full or lush in mono. The cable I suggested will give stereo properly.

Yup, factory reset wipes the onboard memory clean. A MIDI dump could have saved/backed up any patches or other data prior to a reset. Probably can't them back if they were made by you and you don't have a backup.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Setting the interface to 'mono' will give sound from both speakers, but not stereo. If the D-70 has stereo effects, the effects will not have a stereo image and will not sound as full or lush in mono. The cable I suggested will give stereo properly.

Yup, factory reset wipes the onboard memory clean. A MIDI dump could have saved/backed up any patches or other data prior to a reset. Probably can't them back if they were made by you and you don't have a backup.
Unfortunately i don't have a backup. The patches were not made by me. I was given this synth for free, so i'm not really that pissed. Will buy the cable you suggested. Seems to be my only option.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't know if anything in this link may be useful...... http://www.synthzone.com/midi/roland/d70/D70/
Original patches are supposed to be in there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I don't know if anything in this link may be useful...... http://www.synthzone.com/midi/roland/d70/D70/
Original patches are supposed to be in there.
I'v used the midi-ox program to send the d70_orig.syx file back to d70. Went to bulk load all memmory from midi, that process completed, bit when i reboot the synth the factory patches are still not there. Maybe i'm doing something wrong i don't know...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I'v finally found a solution after a whole day fiddling with it. I do have to say the offical instructions did not work. So i had to use another program to make things work, called Bome Sendfx.

The midi-ox program i used before can only send syx files to your synth, and when i was importing that to my synth, the patches remained empty. The Sendfx program can send both syx and midi files, so when i loaded up the d70_orig.mid file and sent that to my synth, it finally worked, i got my old patches back

So i guess this kind of solution works for anyone having similar problems then mine, no matter what the synth is.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search