The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Not satisfied with vocals , suggestions
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I had 2 ADATs. I should have tried the ADA converters in them before I 86'd them. The tape head was shot but the converters could still have been used for a thru. Would be a good comparison if the ASIO is suspected.

Notice how clear the vocoded voices are going thru the Fantom X's USB in. No 6i6 there too.

You say it is my skills then why does 1/4" option record so well? Dry with no effects. And where did all the metallic reflections go in that SAME ROOM!

I want to keep the voice guitar and bass analog 1/4"
Then keyboards drums digital.

"All Strength Comes From Repetition. Without having the basics in order, you’ll never achieve your full potential." a reply from a message sent asking how to get vocals like his..Oh boy..I had to share it with yall.

From what I see the DAW's EQ is so powerful , it does not matter what microphone you use. It could be simulated.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

These teen girls were playing a tent at a local public event. They were really awesome. I could not figure out where the sound was coming from. These girls could blow. Harmonize, all of it. They didnt look old enough to drive. There was some magic to it. I heard them warming up, and the difference to PA sound was noticeable, but I have no idea what it was. A filter of some sort.

They did a great job. You hear something or see something and sometimes it just hits right.

I removed the link , cause I would not want them to see this thread.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1971 View Post
I had 2 ADATs. I should have tried the ADA converters in them before I 86'd them. The tape head was shot but the converters could still have been used for a thru. Would be a good comparison if the ASIO is suspected.

Notice how clear the vocoded voices are going thru the Fantom X's USB in. No 6i6 there too.

You say it is my skills then why does 1/4" option record so well? Dry with no effects. And where did all the metallic reflections go in that SAME ROOM!

I want to keep the voice guitar and bass analog 1/4"
Then keyboards drums digital.

"All Strength Comes From Repetition. Without having the basics in order, you’ll never achieve your full potential." a reply from a message sent asking how to get vocals like his..Oh boy..I had to share it with yall.

From what I see the DAW's EQ is so powerful , it does not matter what microphone you use. It could be simulated.
ADATs were not known for having great ADA converters. We put up with them.

And there is a lot more to the differences between microphones than EQ no matter how powerful. You can of course EQ the hell out of whatever, for whatever reasons, but simulating different mics would be a loosing battle, if you're at all discerning.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
, if you're at all discerning.
Hey, I can Discern better than anybody.

What are your thoughts on the construction of a nice pop vocal? Is there anything it needs to have?

An 80's pop vocal to me would be centered around an erxteme low cut.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, I can Discern better than anybody.
First of all, I was not saying that you are not discerning. In fact, since you have been fixated on what appears to be a relatively subtle experience that you keep referring to, one would assume that you are at least somewhat discerning. Sorry, but saying that you "can discern better than anybody" makes me write you off as a fool, at this point, and ignore everything you say, so good luck!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

See if you can discern the difference between these two guitar takes. I purposefully played them to illustrate the point. Try to understand. The rubber quality of the 1/4" and the abrasives in the digital strumming.

Same guitar, and room, basic level on recording. The 6i6 recorded guitar sounds harsh. The 1/4" sounds plucky and some what comfortable. Dry, no plugins, direct.

6i6
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YCt...ew?usp=sharing

1/4"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H2v...ew?usp=sharing

Isotope makes some very high quality plug ins , is there anything they make that does a nice tape simulation?

Is this
A. the short comings of digital recording, and you need plugins to make it sound right.

B. Normal and what everyone is dealing with.

C. A problem with ASIO drivers, a driver change or new interface will fix it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

First of all, the two takes are unrelated musically. If you want to compare, compare apples to apples. Also, your source is IMHO a terrible choice for comparing anything, in that it is a very bad pickup on a cheap acoustic guitar. Try using a decent mic on a decent instrument and play the same thing on both recordings, or better yet, use the same take split to the two recorders from a decent mixing board.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That is my Stratocaster. The set is the Seymour Duncan original SSL-1's. It is freestyle. Market riffing.

Absolutely related. One is picking and the other strumming. Exact same physical chain going in direct. Bridge position both takes. The mixing board is a 16Ch Mackie.

The 6i6 capture is completely different. If somebody told me that sounds like a driver issue, I would have believed them. I am getting a very poor capture from any analog source to say the least.

I have illustrated the same things sound different. The 6i6 is causing a abrasive hard to listen to recording. It ruins the guitars , the bass, the voices. I thought I was doing it wrong , but I took everything out. This is the bare bones. There is nothing to mess up. No effects, No mics to position, only a preamp gain level. You hit the record button, if the computer says no issues. It sounds terrible. The 1/4" tape, ****ing shines like the rockstars it made famous. Beautiful and round sounding. I gotta do a dance to CD-R and rip in Win10. Whatever. It still sounds bigger.

Picking with the 6i6 and strumming. It does not sound like a guitar should. It is thinner, uninspiringly plucky, and bland.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EmN...ew?usp=sharing

I never found the base recording sound to start producing and have fun in the DAW.
My 8 track you plug right in and hit record. So Im a little frustrated.
I would feel better if there was an EQ template to use for tape emulation, I did not find one.
The 6i6 is so different , yet it works. Not sure that this is a hardware problem. Software.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

First, picking and strumming are by definition, unrelated. Even if you played the same thing twice, it's way better to judge audio from truly identical source audio. Second, an electric direct is gonna sound pretty strange no matter how good the pups are, so not the best source to judge anything from, but if that's what you wanna do, then at the least plug it into your mixer, keep that channel panned to the center, and send left and right channels to your digital and analogue recorders so, again, you are comparing apples to apples. Your chain may be the same leading up to the recorders but using completely different playing makes it a useless comparison. I suggest you use a vocal, which is hugely better for such comparisons, but whatever.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

These pictures show a clear difficency. I really don't know how to effect it the way I need to. I line up a song 'Words Of Love' . I can lay it note for note in Reaper. And the difference is VERY WATCHABLE! I am using Red2 EQ and RED compressor very conservatively. Then Dynamic range , Osciloscope, and Freq analyzer some pics are not paused synched. 2 of the 3 are. To compare it is so close and its cool to see it note for note against each other. Me and them . Mono to mono.

Im on the left , cd on the right. Apparently a lot of pink is good.

I tried to analyze it, there is a big difference, could anybody suggest what is going on? These are big differences.

1. How do they get it to hard cut above 18k? Its blacked out. How? No compressor is that much of a brick wall.

2. the Pink is so saturated , if I did that it sounds sractchy as hell. How is their signal so hot? Thats not microphone choice. I don't see any green.

2. How do they get the high end to come through like that? Some sort of micro amplification I don't know about.
Attached Thumbnails
Not satisfied with vocals , suggestions-20190530_093131.jpg   Not satisfied with vocals , suggestions-20190530_093210.jpg   Not satisfied with vocals , suggestions-20190530_093000.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

1- the mic they used ? Tape machine low pass effect ? EQ low pass?

2- The cleanest saturation I can think of is the one added by many compressors in series. See brauerizing technique.

3- I don't hear much high end on words of love... You must be confusing the 3k-6k clarity for high end brightness. Also they cut way more bass than you did which enhances clarity.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Brauerizing can cut the highs off like that first picture? It goes red to black no yellow or green. Lots of pink.

In picture 3, windows10 still tells me the 6i6 still cannot be found? Is that bad?
Attached Thumbnails
Not satisfied with vocals , suggestions-20190530_093131a.jpg   Not satisfied with vocals , suggestions-20190530_093131aa.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Brauerizing can cut the highs off like that first picture? It goes red to black no yellow or green. Lots of pink.

In picture 3, windows10 still tells me the 6i6 still cannot be found? Is that bad?
Do not confuse dynamics with spectrum content. Compressors and limiters have nothing to do with the spectrum, they only manage transients and gain. (except some of them add slight saturation, aka harmonics, but it's not their primary goal)

Your cut can comes from many different things. Tape, EQ, Saturation, etc...
But I admit the way the spectrum is cut so straight is really unusual.

Also Looking forward to know why. Are you sure your spectrum analyzer settings are right ? Straight cuts like that look more like something you would see on a dynamic meter than a frequency analyzer.

Save time money and buy an Apollo twin, and forget all your problems, you'll thank me later. Sell your 6i6 if it's not working for you, its sound is not that good anyway, I did the comparison between it and my apollo 8 and the sound is a lot clearer on the apollo.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Luke Temple records to a porta atudio cassette and bounces back and forth to the computer for his "Sound" ,but he does more than just vocals. Search Luke Temple on youtube. He was covered in an issue of Tape-op and he also goes by a couple other names but using a 424mkii is definitely his trademark sound and it's drfinitely cool. But he is specifically wanting that overall lofi type cassette sound, doing just vocals on one might not fit the other tracks at all.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok so how the **** DO I RECORD something?

I used my ears, I showed you pictures, this is the problem. I have the exact same **** most of you guys do. What are they not saying? What is the answer that is withheld?

What\s up?

I got questions, where do I go to get them answered?

What are those mixing seminars, are they gonna say? Take questions?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Skimming through all your posts, you are the most “discerning” (if we want to use that term) when you are posting about work and sounds that are not of your creation. Regardiing your own voice and work you are obsessive to the point that you are referencing the pixels instead of the picture.
In a sense, you listen so critically that you can’t really hear the product.

I expect, again from your previous posts, that you will dismiss this thought and return to chasing those damn fairies through the maze of your imagination. OK... it is your decision and choice, and not my business.
But...
You KNOW, because you have stated it, that no one else seems to have these problems. You are asking why you keep having these problems without considering that perhaps no one, including you, actually has the problems you are obsessing about.
Go back to a simple setup with a mic you like. Maybe you will realize that all your contortions are getting you farther from what you hope for, not closer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search