The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for feedback on my first recording/mix Studio Monitors
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Looking for feedback on my first recording/mix

Hi, everyone. I'm new to recording and mixing and have been working on a cover of Welcome To The Jungle by Guns 'N Roses, which is my first foray into the audio world. Posted the link below. I recorded the vocals, bass, and did the guitars along with my fiance; my brother recorded the drums. I have done all of the mixing. I feel like I have taken this project about as far as I can, but am now looking for feedback from this awesome community. I may be new to this process, but I have done a lot of research (especially utilizing this site!) and have practiced what I've learned as much as I can on this project. But even so, I still feel I am coming up short and I need the help from the people who know what they are doing.

On my JBL LSR 305's, I think the mix sounds pretty good. On cheap computer speakers, I think it sounds kind of harsh and undefined. On my cheap consumer headphones, pretty good. On my TV with soundbar and subwoofer, it sounds harsh and like it's lacking bass. And in my car, the bass can be a bit overpowering, I believe. One other thing is that, in the car, it seems like I'm getting distortions coming from the drums (I think. I ought to make a mix with the drums muted to be sure that that's where it's coming from). I was getting a similar distortion problem from the vocals for a while too, but that has gone away over time (I think from EQ-ing?). I was guessing for a while it was a build-up of high frequencies causing problems to the not-so-great car speakers, but I really have no idea. I had thought this because my brother and I used a cheap condenser (AT2020) for both of his overhead mics as well as for my vocals, and it really had a lot of "air," at least to my ears.

Any feedback you guys can offer will be appreciated. Whether it's volume balance, EQ problems, the overall mix not being loud enough, my distortion problem, or other issues I can't hear in my monitoring, I want to hear about it. I'm totally new and need the help. Thanks so much in advance, and if other details are required, I can certainly answer anything to the best of my ability.

Welcome To The Jungle - Demo - YouTube
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I like it. main vocal could use some depth and body but they sit well where they are. If you left them it still a great track. The bass seems to not punch through nor have body almost like it is too wide to be heard and felt. Very good choice overall. To my hat to you.
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks very much, man. Glad to hear that. Yeah, I felt at times that the main vocal was a little thin. There were times where I was desperately carving away at its lower frequencies to get rid of the bad stuff and also so that it would poke through the mix more, but I might have gone too far. I just have trouble with knowing how much low end/mud/boxyness to ever cut from a track (like how much is a problem?) and how much to leave in, in order to maintain the track's sonic integrity. For the bass, I'll see if I can tackle that as well. I totally agree that it feels too wide and "bassy" and isn't really punching through. I had just been hesitant to cut any low end boomyness because I was under the impression I'm supposed to let the bass have its bass, if that makes sense. But I agree that it needs to cut through a lot more than what it's doing, especially for a rock track! Very helpful, thank you!
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Maniac

For vocals high pass until you hear the change then back it off that sounds like it might be around 100-115 for those vocals. And at that point you would still get rid of most the low end problems. If you want it to cut through and still have body instead of making it jump out by cutting the bass press it out with a send high passed to 600-700 add an exciter or distortion with sizzle and turn it up until you hear the cut that you want.

Your bass doesn't sound like it is coming right down the center I would start there , but for that bass you might be able to filter it out up to 50-60...

I'm not an expert though I study a lot and get the concepts so I know first hand that knowledge doesn't always pan out practically.

Good luck to you!
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Vocals: All good things to try. Do you have any exciters that you like? I had been considering finding one for some time. Now would be as good a time as any to try one out.

Bass: Hmm, that's weird. I definitely have it panned center, so I'm assuming there is some sort of auditory illusion in my mix that causes it to sound off center? Like maybe the EQ of the bass track itself (too much boom or mud or something?), or maybe low end frequencies from other tracks all adding up?

Thanks again, definitely gives me some things to go research and try.
Old 14th April 2019
Here for the gear

Just bumping one time to see if anyone else has any feedback. I was kind of feeling the whole thing sounded too dark, like it needed more clarity.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search