The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Old photos of studios with no treatment …
Old 6 days ago
  #1
Lives for gear
Old photos of studios with no treatment …

How did they manage that?
Old 6 days ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
Egg cartons.
Old 6 days ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

Where are the photos?

If they were recording with acoustic horns, rather than electric mics, "treatment" probably had no relevance.
Old 6 days ago
  #4
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Old photos of studios with no treatment …
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
How did they manage that?
They used a camera with a lens that exposed a piece of film to light. The chemicals in the film turned dark with exposure and produced a negative. Then then negative was used to expose photographic paper to make a positive image after chemicals were applied.
Old 6 days ago
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
They used a camera with a lens that exposed a piece of film to light. The chemicals in the film turned dark with exposure and produced a negative. Then then negative was used to expose photographic paper to make a positive image after chemicals were applied.
Boo Hiss
Old 6 days ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
How did they manage that?
WHat are you writing about? Are you 15 or 50? What you see is not you get. As Bpb Olhsson detailed Hitsville had FEET of acoustic treatment behind visible walls. Look at Vox Studios for a quarter century earliet and still in use.
Old 6 days ago
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
WHat are you writing about? Are you 15 or 50? What you see is not you get. As Bpb Olhsson detailed Hitsville had FEET of acoustic treatment behind visible walls. Look at Vox Studios for a quarter century earliet and still in use.
Exactly! LOL, many studios have sound absorption inside or behind their walls. It makes for a cleaner look.
Old 6 days ago
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

Bingo! Many studios built around the middle of last century had hidden absorption behind walls, and some had diffusors integrated into the walls in clever ways.

Every time I look at a photo of an old studio and see that perforated acoustic tile on the walls or ceiling of a control room... I have to wonder: a.) whether it actually provided any useful absorption in such a thin layer; and b.) if it was full of asbestos (some was, some wasn't...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Exactly! LOL, many studios have sound absorption inside or behind their walls. It makes for a cleaner look.
Old 2 days ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
mr. torture's Avatar
 

Judas Priest - British Steel

Quote:
Although Startling was a more than decent studio, Priest decided they preferred the ambience of the house itself when it came to recording.

“We set up each member in a different room, and the vibe worked really well,” says Allom. “I think KK might have been in the room with the famous white piano, the one you see Lennon playing in the video for Imagine.”

“For some reason, the recording equipment was all in a tiny room behind the kitchen,” adds Halford. “Not sure why that location was chosen, but it worked well enough.”
Old 5 hours ago
  #10
Quote:
Judas Priest - British Steel
Awesome Album!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
skybluerental / High end
258
Gorney / So much gear, so little time
4
thezebralad / Studio building / acoustics
1
NorseHorse / Mastering forum
210

Forum Jump
Forum Jump