The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Volume pedal potentiometer replacement
Old 7th April 2019
Here for the gear

Volume pedal potentiometer replacement

I have a old passive volume pedal that I am wanting to use again, but the potentiometer is bad, I will be using the pedal with Native Instruments S series keyboard, and was wondering if anyone here may know the specs or part number of good replacement potentiometer would be?
Thanks!
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear
Take a look inside and measure the shaft thickness, you will need to get the right one so the mechanics still work.
Value of then pot will be printed on it to or you could get something like 10 kOhm log.
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

What model volume pedal is this? The type and taper of the pot are important. Some use a rack gear and have a taper which allow it to drop levels quickly for less then a complete turn on the shaft. Others use a string which allow the full pot rotation and therefore don't need to have a sharp taper.
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

type pedal

This is a pedal that I purchased long ago with an emulator II , I never used it with the emu, it's a sturdy pedal if I can just get the proper part.
Attached Thumbnails
Volume pedal potentiometer replacement-img_2669.jpg   Volume pedal potentiometer replacement-img_2671.jpg  
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Keyboard pedal? Likely attenuates line level signals.

The pot looks like its sealed so there probably isn't any hope cleaning it. The pots on Wah pedals are the same way. It keeps dust out but also keeps the pot from being cleaned. Not thay there is much likelihood of there being much carbon left on the pad if it is worn out.

If this pot is crackley sound because of non use, you could try removing the can and using contact cleaner to make it work. Its got 4 tams that can be bent up then just pull the can off. Make sure you set the pot for the center first. Then just use some contact cleaner designed for potentiometers. Do not use alcohol or WD40, you'll only make the problem much worse. If you have mineral oil you could use that applied to the pad with a Q Tip. (Many contact cleaners for pots use mineral oil as a lubricant cleaner) Or just buy some deoxit of potentiometers.

Putting the can back on isn't too hard, you simply need some plyers to bend the tabs back over and make sure its tight

If you're going to replace it you need a meter to verify its ohms. With nothing plugged in you measure across the two outside posts. It should read between 10~500K. You could probably use a 500K and have it load the signal down far less. A 500K pedal and a 500K guitar pot make the load 250K total. If you used a lower resistance pot you can start having allot of gain losses and other guitar pedals can begin to suffer

Cant be 100% sure but my guess is a Dunlop Wah pot which is 500K should work so long as the shaft is long enough. Looks like it would be to me. Dunlop ECB024B Hot Potz II 100K Potentiometer | Reverb

Cant be completely sure the gear is the same. If it isn't you could cut the gear off the Dunlop with a hot knife, then remove the gear from the old pot with an allen wrench and put it on the new pot. The Dunlop has an extra heavy carbon trace so it will last much longer then other standard pots in a pedal like this that sees a high number of sweeps.

I'm not sure if the shaft size is the same. The Dunlop is listed with Shaft diameter: 0.235" (5.95mm) Shaft height: 3/8" (9.52mm) Thread: 3/8 x 32. Thread height: 3/8" (9.52mm)

You could measure yours with a ruler to make sure the gear will fit and the shaft will span across to the bushing in yours. They used an extremely long shaft on yours. Typically you'd hack saw off the excess which isn't needed. You can buy long shaft pots but most of those long shaft are NOS left over from old radio gear. I wouldn't give you much hope on them lasting a very long time.

Real question is, do you want to spend an additional $20 plus shipping on a pedal that wasn't exactly the best to begin with. You can buy volume pedals very cheap. I paid $30 for a Morley Volume Wah that was like bran new. No pots to wear out either. Its all LED's so there's no moving parts besides the pedal hinge which works a flag to block sensors. Having a wah and volume together saves space too. I made the decision to switch to a Morley when my Dunlop pedals pot wore out. I had the choice oof replacing a $20 pot on a pedal that cost me $45 or get a Morely and never have to worry about it again.

Here's one for $39. you have to shop a bit to get a good deal on a volume wah version. Guitar Center

Even new the Volume Wahs aren't that much and all optical. Ben Webster - Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson + 1 Bonus Track (Photo Cover ByJean-Pierre Leloir) | Musician's Friend
Old 20th April 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you wrgkmc! This is really an expression pedal, no signal passing through it. I like the idea of optical pedal, would one of the Morley's work for this application?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search