The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tascam 414 - panning controls volume?
Old 5th April 2019
Here for the gear

tascam 414 - panning controls volume?

I have my tascam 414 cassette recorder plugged into an mbox 3rd gen interface via an rca to dual 1/4. It goes from the line out of the tascam to the 1st and 2nd line level 1/4 inputs on the interface. I am listening to the output through the interface, and the DAW i'm using is logic. When I listen to the playback of the tascam through the interface (the tascam is on L/R monitor mode-- read in the manual that that is for mixing down), the pan controls don't affect the panning but the volume. Basically, when you move to the right or left, the sound gets louder, and when being in the center there is no sound. However the faders on the tracks still affect the sound somewhat. But when i listen through the tascam itself, the panning controls work how they are supposed to, so the tascam is not the problem.
Old 5th April 2019
Quote:
I have my tascam 414 cassette recorder plugged into an mbox 3rd gen interface via an rca to dual 1/4. It goes from the line out of the tascam to the 1st and 2nd line level 1/4 inputs on the interface.
It sounds to me that the cassette's recorded one RCA out is a mono signal. This explains the panning /volume issues you are hearing.
Does the cassette recorder have left and right outs? That is what you need to use
Old 5th April 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you for your reply. I am using the left and right line outs. I tried again with a new RCA to dual 1/4 inch wire, and now the panning controls on the tascam are still controlling the volume, except sound increases when turned to the left and decreases when turned to the right.
Old 5th April 2019
Here for the gear

Okay, so I think i narrowed the problem down to be my stupid headphone adaptor blocking out the right channel. At first I thought maybe there was an issue with my right line out jack (and I almost had a heart attack) but when I put the left rca into the right one I could hear sound. Thanks for the help.
Old 18th April 2019
Here for the gear
manual right here.
YouTube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search