The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cab-less Guitar Rig: BAE 1073 Mic Pre > Pultec EQP-1A
Old 4th April 2019
Here for the gear

BAE 1073 Mic Pre into Pultec EQP-1A?

I am designing an analog low-volume guitar rig. What I have so far is:

Guitar > JCM-stlye amp > Suhr Reactive Load > Suhr Analog Cabinet Emulator (ACE)

What I want to do over the next year is add a BAE 1073. This adds a lot to the guitar signal. (I witnessed it in a rig very similar to this.) What I haven't heard, and what I think would be the final cherry to my rig, would be getting a Pultec EQP-1A in there. Can I run one into the other with an XLR?
Old 6th April 2019
RiF
Lives for gear

Where do you plan to put the BAE 1073 into the chain.
I love my 1073 on guitars, but it's used as... well... a mic pre.
Old 7th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Where do you plan to put the BAE 1073 into the chain.
I love my 1073 on guitars, but it's used as... well... a mic pre.
Hi, The mic pre would be right after the ACE.

I don't have a mic pre yet. One thing I'm concerned about is how to control the volume of the monitor. I'm thinking I may need a monitor controller.

The big thing for me now is not having my signal go digital at all. I want to experiment with analog guitar processing after the ACE, which is like a miced amp, and before the monitors, for my live and practice sound. This is something I haven't seen anyone do yet. People usually mess with the signal in a computer, effects loop, or before the amp.
Old 7th April 2019
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaccerin View Post
I am designing an analog low-volume guitar rig.
Interesting project that I totally gel with. Having an all-analog low-volume guitar chain can be a lot of fun and I can tell you that it feels way different to something digital. Even running a little $30 Joyo American pedal through my BAE and my Soundtracs console for EQ sounds great and feels great.

Quote:
What I haven't heard, and what I think would be the final cherry to my rig, would be getting a Pultec EQP-1A in there.
Oh yeah. I don't own one, but I really loved some of the plugin emulations from UA or Waves. I even use the Pultec-like curves in my stock Pro Tools EQ as a starting point preset.
My dream setup for this kind of guitar processing would be a versatile SSL- or Midas-style EQ (as in: LPF, HPF, sharp cuts possible, multiple bands) for any corrective EQing like high- and lowpassing, notching out harsh or booming frequencies (think 300 Hz and 2.5KHz) using sharp cuts for the highs and broader cuts for the low-mids.
This is then followed by a Pultec for creative work, which comprises more boosts than cuts.

Quote:
Can I run one into the other with an XLR?
Yes.
You can go out of the ACE's balanced XLR line out into the XLR line input of the BAE. Then out of the BAE's XLR line output into an EQ XLR input. And so on...

Quote:
One thing I'm concerned about is how to control the volume of the monitor. I'm thinking I may need a monitor controller.
If the BAE is the last in the chain, you'll be able to control the volume using the output attenuator on the front.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Interested.

Ever finish this rig with the Pultec? Curious to hear about your results
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Interested.

Ever finish this rig with the Pultec? Curious to hear about your results
Pultecs are so broad-Q and subtle, and their main strengths are in the top and bottom. Electric guitars are all mids. I can't imagine a Pultec in a guitar rig contributing much.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search