The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Raising clip/wave levels vs fader
Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Head

Raising clip/wave levels vs fader

Hi,

I cannot find an answer to this either on the forum on Google.

I've got lots of vocal clips on a track and the most convenient way for me to get an even level is simply to raise the wave on the clip itself, not automate the fader. But is there a downside to doing this, or is it the same as the fader? Seems to me if I'm adding effects then I need to even out the clips first for proper gain staging. Plus, it's a lot quicker than automation in my DAW.

Hope it's not a silly question!

RD
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

You're "right". If you adjust levels on the clips then what flows through the channel has that level, i.e. the plugins receive what you send them. Some DAWs will allow for none/some/all(?) inserts to be post-fader, but generally they're pre-fader which is why you're "right".

And of course, if you find it to be faster anyway then it's to your benefit, all else being equal.

So, good thinking in my opinion.

PS: One of course doesn't exclude the other, and a large amount of engineers will level pre-fader/inserts, process in inserts, and then automate levels using the fader at the end of that channel. And on top of that there's often further processing after the channel.. so.. sooner or later you're likely to start automating anyway and you can make that easy, quick and quite 'enjoyable'.. with time.. :-)
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romdave View Post
Hi. I've got lots of vocal clips on a track and the most convenient way for me to get an even level is simply to raise the wave on the clip itself, not automate the fader. But is there a downside to doing this, or is it the same as the fader? Seems to me if I'm adding effects then I need to even out the clips first for proper gain staging. Plus, it's a lot quicker than automation in my DAW.

Hope it's not a silly question!

RD
I'm curious -are these clips 'punch ins and/or bits compiled from other takes, but with uneven tracking levels?
I tend to use clip gain automation (as an early step), but leveling smaller details in the track. I.e, I would have to chop up into smaller sections to use a global' straight line gain changes -as opposed to gain rides in and along the clip.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I'm curious -are these clips 'punch ins and/or bits compiled from other takes, but with uneven tracking levels?
I tend to use clip gain automation (as an early step), but leveling smaller details in the track. I.e,
Hi Wayne, sorry for the late response. Yes they are punch ins and compilation takes. So what I've done is kept them all separate and tweaked the wave itself. It has worked pretty well. Allows for some variance between chorus/verse as well as some punctuation here and there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search