The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rode NTK Very Noisy Through Pre-Amp Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Rode NTK Very Noisy Through Pre-Amp

Hope I have found the right section. Is there a place simply for microphone set-up related questions?

Anyway, I very recently acquired a Rode NTK, which I considered an upgrade over the Aston Origin that I have.

My tin pot set-up consists of Mic > Alctron MP73EQ pre > Klark Teknik DN500 compressor/expander > Audient ID14 interface > DAW.

But there is so much noise when I put it through either the Alctron MP73EQ pre amp or the Klark Teknik DN500 compressor/expander (or both) that I own. I can adjust the expander so it appears silent, but as soon as I start singing or make a noise that triggers the expander threshold, the noise comes through loud and clear over the top of my voice to the point where it's distracting.

However, if I plug the mic directly into the Audient ID14 I don't have any such issue whatsoever, but then I don't have the benefits of the mic pre/EQ or the compressor/expander.

It's worth pointing out that I was getting some noise with the Aston Origin, but nowhere near as much as with the Rode.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or give me some tips on what I might be doing wrong here?

Thank you.
Old 1 week ago
First off i would not even use the compressor in your recording chain. Its not needed and compressors raise the noise floor and that raises the noise. Record in 24bit and you do not need a compressor for catching peaks. Just make your peak dB level between -18dB to -10dB peak.

As far as your mic pre, the MP73EQ allows you to select the impedance to match your
microphone.
Also, the MP73EQ has a high frequency filter that you can switch and you to cut out noise like hum.

CJ
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks very much for your input.

I took the compressor out of the chain, and adjusted the MP73EQ somewhat, but there is still a hell of a lot of noise, especially in comparison with simply plugging the mic directly into the interface.

I'm at a bit of a loss.

EDIT: There was a ground/lift switch on the back of the PSU which seems to have made a marked improvement.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search