The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Learning new plugins
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Learning new plugins

Hello all. When you get a new plugin (let's say a vintage compressor emulation), how do you learn where and when to use it? Do you start using it on the mix you are working on and experimenting with it? Or you open an old session you already mixed and try remixing with the new plugin? As far as i'm concerned i don't like experimenting with new things when i'm mixing for a client because i tend to lose sight of the song and get bogged down on details of the new toy. Similarly i find i cannot spend so much time with the new toy cause there's a client waiting for a song to be mixed. What about you?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Hello all. When you get a new plugin (let's say a vintage compressor emulation), how do you learn where and when to use it?
Knowing when you use it is determined if you deem its needed or not.

There are no guidelines saying to use or not use effects. Its all up to you, the original sound, the sound you want, your personnel preferences and the other instruments in the mix, that determine it.

Knowing how to use a compressor is just like a bike. If you learn how to ride a bike, you know how to ride any bike. The settings are universal for most compressors and effects. A threshold is always a threshold, A release is always a release, a ration is always a ratio. Learn one and you'll learn them all..
Quote:
Similarly i find i cannot spend so much time with the new toy cause there's a client waiting for a song to be mixed.
Time is what you do with it. You make time for what you deem important. A work day is at least 8 hours, so work 9 hours
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Knowing when yo use it is determined if you deem its needed or not.
There are no guidelines saying to use or not use effects. Its all up to you, the original sound, the sound you want, your personnel preferences and the other instruments in the mix, that determine it.
Correct. I'm in no way implying plugins should be used following hard rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Knowing how to use a compressor is just like a bike. If you learn how to ride a bike, you know how to ride any bike. The settings are universal for most compressors and effects. A threshold is always a threshold, A release is always a release, a ration is always a ratio. Learn one and you'll learn them all..
Agree partially on that. Take for example an 1176 vs an ssl compressor. They have totally different characters and they sound rather different. And that is the thing that one should learn and internalize IMO, because when mixing you have a certain sound in mind that you want to achieve fast and if you know your tools, you choose the one that you know will give you that exact result. Pretty straightforward. But if you are gonna try 10 different tools before finding the one you like, you're gonna easily forget what you wanted in the first place.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfall View Post
Hello all. When you get a new plugin (let's say a vintage compressor emulation), how do you learn where and when to use it? Do you start using it on the mix you are working on and experimenting with it? Or you open an old session you already mixed and try remixing with the new plugin? As far as i'm concerned i don't like experimenting with new things when i'm mixing for a client because i tend to lose sight of the song and get bogged down on details of the new toy. Similarly i find i cannot spend so much time with the new toy cause there's a client waiting for a song to be mixed. What about you?
I actually have a "test" song set up with some simple tracks of various kinds...vocals, strings, keyboards etc... which cover just about any kind of things and sounds I would normally want to use an effect on. This makes it easy to see how the plugin works.

For VSTi's, I usually just open up a new file and start tinkering.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I actually have a "test" song set up with some simple tracks of various kinds...vocals, strings, keyboards etc... which cover just about any kind of things and sounds I would normally want to use an effect on. This makes it easy to see how the plugin works.

For VSTi's, I usually just open up a new file and start tinkering.
That's a good idea.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks! It works well for me since I know the tracks very well (exactly how they sound dry etc) and gives me a consistent, standard way to test things.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search