The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Multiple monitor sets - amp question!
Old 10th March 2019
Here for the gear

Multiple monitor sets - amp question!

Hey all,

I am going to be running passive monitors in my studio, 3 sets in total - ProAc Studio 100's, NS-10's, and Auratone mixcubes. All of these are 8 ohms, so can I use a single amp and switch between speakers with a simple switch? IE the Drawmer stuff, or even something that just switches between 3 sets of wires, as I have a monitor control level on my console (MCI JH528).

Thanks for helping me!
Old 11th March 2019
Here for the gear
You could.. But it is pretty risky.

Switching between speakers under load is entirely possible, though its not exactly good for either the amp or the speakers.

Hell you're not even meant to switch off a console before the amps are well and truly off to minimise risk of damage to speaker and amp systems, and the speakers you mentioned arent exactly cheap enough to abuse like that.

Look into getting 3 seperate amps, even if you need to go second hand, you're less likely to damage any equipment

Use a line level monitor switching system between your console and your amps, there are plenty out there.
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear

1 amp...2 sets of speakers

been doing it for years ..buy a plastic utility box..2 big rocker light switches and wire them to be "up speaker 1 L/R" .. "down speaker 2 L/R" with whatever connectors you use..each light switch is rated a 600 watts so you'll be nore than cool than 90 % of speaker switchers out of the box and about 100-200 cheaper

Last edited by Sigma; 11th March 2019 at 07:44 PM..
Old 13th March 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks all! Great stuff, I think for now we'll use a switch setup with one amp that we turn off and on when we change speakers... Which shouldnt be too often!

Many thanks
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

I run 6 sets of Speakers plus I can feed it into my stereo PA sound system too.

I Have two power amps running two sets of speakers which can be switched off or on individually and I also have two powered sets.
For selecting the different options I run the DAW signal into an EQ which I leave bypassed. I use it to split the signal to the various amp heads or powered speakers. It as the added benefit of providing a visual Frequency Analyzer so I can simply look over and see what kind of FQ response the mix has.

On the power amps they have A/B speaker switches so I can select either set or both on each one. I run everything from Hi Fi speakers to Bookshelf to Computer to car speakers in boxes. I do most of the mixing on the Near field's but when checking compatibility I often try each individually as well as all at once. If the mix sounds good with all running, I know I have an excellent, balanced mix.

if you only have one amp then simply buy a speaker selector. Monoprice sells one for $18 here> Monoprice 4-Channel Speaker Selector - Monoprice.com

Just make sure it can handle the wattage, and turn the volumes down when swapping speakers. Most SS heads can run without a load, its simply the zap you give it when switching loads while running loud that can be risky. Turn the volume off, switch speakers, then turn it back up to avoid possible voltage spikes.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
I run 6 sets of Speakers plus I can feed it into my stereo PA sound system too.

I Have two power amps running two sets of speakers which can be switched off or on individually and I also have two powered sets.
For selecting the different options I run the DAW signal into an EQ which I leave bypassed. I use it to split the signal to the various amp heads or powered speakers. It as the added benefit of providing a visual Frequency Analyzer so I can simply look over and see what kind of FQ response the mix has.

On the power amps they have A/B speaker switches so I can select either set or both on each one. I run everything from Hi Fi speakers to Bookshelf to Computer to car speakers in boxes. I do most of the mixing on the Near field's but when checking compatibility I often try each individually as well as all at once. If the mix sounds good with all running, I know I have an excellent, balanced mix.

if you only have one amp then simply buy a speaker selector. Monoprice sells one for $18 here> Monoprice 4-Channel Speaker Selector - Monoprice.com

Just make sure it can handle the wattage, and turn the volumes down when swapping speakers. Most SS heads can run without a load, its simply the zap you give it when switching loads while running loud that can be risky. Turn the volume off, switch speakers, then turn it back up to avoid possible voltage spikes.
why i built my own and it handles 600 watts a channel
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

...or get a multi-channel amp: switching between speakers without interruption makes things much easier imo.

[nice desk btw]
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...or get a multi-channel amp: switching between speakers without interruption makes things much easier imo.

[nice desk btw]
no interruption with light switches
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
no interruption with light switches
good point - nevertheless, i'm using multichannel amps with built-in dsp as they offer so many more options; clearly a much more expensive solution though...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search