The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stereo to Mono Mixer - Deaf in one Ear Mixers (Analog)
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Stereo to Mono Mixer - Deaf in one Ear

First post so be gentle. I found the site while trying to research small audio mixers to help me deal with a hearing problem. Due to a head injury I am profoundly deaf in my right ear. Some low frequency can get through the damaged ear, but for the most part it's useless. As you can imagine, this sort of hearing loss makes using headphones problematic.

All the mono earphones I've seen are dog **** quality so I'm looking for a small mixer that will let me create a mono mix that I can route to my good ear and allow me to use a quality set of headphones.

I'm hoping someone knows of a product that can do what I want in a reasonably small package. Something the size of a Rolls MX22 would be optimum, but bigger would be OK if it has the all features I need.

Must haves:
-- One or (preferably) 2 Stereo inputs (or I guess 2/4 mono inputs would work)
-- Mono/Stereo output
-- Ability to pan input channels

Nice to have:
-- Ability to EQ or attenuate the output (perhaps send some LF sound to the bad ear) Not sure if this is a thing.

From browsing the site there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable and experienced folks around, I'm hoping one of them might be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Really good mono support is a tall order, unfortunately.

I don't know whether this would be a good choice for you or not, but the Behringer Xenyx 1002B has separate, parallel mono channels. I don't think you'd be able to monitor the mono directly through the mixer headphone jack, though. You'd have to connect a separate headphone amp to the mono out of the mixer and use your headphones with the amp.

The problem is the mixer's pretty big, and it's over $100 new, I think. There isn't a lot of demand for mono support in mixers, unfortunately, and the small ones that do offer it don't have a lot of features or have, generally, pretty crappy BQ.

There's also the Behringer MX400 but, again, it's really barebones, and there's no headphone jack. You'd have to use a separate headphone amp with it.

I've struggled with the issue of true mono support in project mixers for a long time. The options suck, for the most part.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I guess I should have specified something about budget too. I'm trying to stay under $250.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

why not just set the master in your DAW to mono? most DAWs have this feature
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDemonic View Post
why not just set the master in your DAW to mono? most DAWs have this feature
A DAW is probably overkill for my purposes. I'm looking for a small rig I could use whenever I need to use headphones.

Maybe I'm going about this wrong. Who makes a quality non-passive 4 channel mixer? The smaller the better but must have the ability to pan the input channels.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Yamaha MG10.

You could also use/make an adaptor that would mono-ize the signal to the headphones for use with any device.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search