The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio setup question Studio Monitors
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Studio setup question

Hello,

I have two issues I was hoping your experience could help me figure out.

I have a 4.2m x 3.7m room that has carpet on 2/3 of the floor, wood floor in the rest of the area, bass traps in the corners and acoustic foam on the 2 long walls (pics attached). Unfortunately I cannot setup the length of the long walls and have to be on one of the short walls. My first issue is regarding the highs, when I tilt my head down to look at the floor the highs seem to come alive, but when I look straight ahead between the monitors, they don’t seem as bright. The second issue is the bass is much less prominent at my listening area then behind me at the wall.

Any tips on how I can maximize my space? The monitors are Focal Alpha 65. Appreciate all of the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Studio setup question-20190219_234337_resized.jpg   Studio setup question-20190219_234307_resized.jpg   Studio setup question-20190219_234324_resized.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Hey there, the first thing that you should know is that egg crate foam is not super helpful for studio acoustical treatment. Sound absorption doesnt begin to be effective until considerably high in the frequency spectrum. ( which is why you’re having bass issues at your seating position, but I’ll get back to that) When you look down I imagine that you are hearing the first reflections off of your hard floor which is going to contain much high frequency info....and when you look straight ahead you were getting much less high frequency information off of your front and back walls due to the studio foam. In regards to the Low frequency response sometimes the best thing to start with is just rotating your set up 90° in the room and see if that makes things better or worse. there are room mode calculators you can use to figure out what dimensions of your room might be causing problems at particular frequencies but I would try rotating everything first. What is most likely happening is the low frequency information that is coming back at you from your back wall and creating a null(cancellation) at your seating position.

Studio foam can easily create an unbalanced sounding room due to it inherently weak low frequency absorption coefficients.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Spend a few $$ and have an expert come in. It always amazes me that people will drop a few 1000 on baffles, traps, shells, foam, etc - when there are acoustical engineers that can actually do the job completely accurately and save you from spending what you don't need.

It's really not that expensive for a couple hours of someone's time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I agree and I would add that if you are a good study you can grasp the essentials fairly easily. Getting an acceptable response in a room is not rocket science. It’s just a little physics/fluid dynamics. Hehe
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thank you for the feedback. Initially the room was going to be used for rehearsals and had a nasty ringing in it so that was the reason for the egg-crate foam. Since plans have changed I will look into perhaps either taking some down or rearranging it. Rotating the setup is also a very helpful tip that I will have to try out. Unfortunately where I am located at there aren't any services that could help me with setting the room up properly.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search