The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where can I learn the functions of synths, beat boxes, etc.?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Where can I learn the functions of synths, beat boxes, etc.?

Hi all,
I'm truly a Noob when it comes to the realm of the DAW and its included instruments, synths, busses, et al. While it may sound arrogant, I'm pretty comfortable with music itself and I have a ton of original stuff bouncing around in my head. But I know next to nothing about the specific workings of my DAW, which BTW, is Reason 10 Intro.

It seems like a lot of people recommend one incarnation or another of Abelton. I'm on Social Security Disability so dropping upward of $500 on my DAW is a little difficult. I worked with Reaper for a couple of months but encountered some issues using it simultaneously with a Udemy course I'm taking.

What I'm asking for is some direction on where to learn about how mixers, synths, drum machines, instruments/patches, busses, and all the controls/interconnectivity thereof in the DAW work.

Don't know if there are any free/low cost courses that cover this material or if y'all can recommend any books that spend some time on explaining the basics of the included devices as well as explanations of the individual controls on the devices to aid in lowering the curve to become proficient in the art of manipulating these devices.

So I humbly implore any of you who are, or have been, in this unenviable position to please take a few minutes to share your information and experience.

Sincere Thanks!!

To tell you a little about me, I've bounced in and out of music for the last 35+ years. I've owned a half-dozen MIDI controllers but this is my first time delving seriously into production.
I'll say too that personal experience has always served me well as I learned to play multiple wind instruments from 4th grade through college. But I don't know anyone who is at my current level of age (57) or experience who is as into EDM the same way I am becoming. That's why I'm here.

Please help me to understand the functions of the main tools in any DAW.

Sincere Thanks!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzdogs View Post
Hi all,
I'm truly a Noob when it comes to the realm of the DAW and its included instruments, synths, busses, et al. While it may sound arrogant, I'm pretty comfortable with music itself and I have a ton of original stuff bouncing around in my head. But I know next to nothing about the specific workings of my DAW, which BTW, is Reason 10 Intro.

It seems like a lot of people recommend one incarnation or another of Abelton. I'm on Social Security Disability so dropping upward of $500 on my DAW is a little difficult. I worked with Reaper for a couple of months but encountered some issues using it simultaneously with a Udemy course I'm taking.

What I'm asking for is some direction on where to learn about how mixers, synths, drum machines, instruments/patches, busses, and all the controls/interconnectivity thereof in the DAW work.

Don't know if there are any free/low cost courses that cover this material or if y'all can recommend any books that spend some time on explaining the basics of the included devices as well as explanations of the individual controls on the devices to aid in lowering the curve to become proficient in the art of manipulating these devices.

So I humbly implore any of you who are, or have been, in this unenviable position to please take a few minutes to share your information and experience.

Sincere Thanks!!

To tell you a little about me, I've bounced in and out of music for the last 35+ years. I've owned a half-dozen MIDI controllers but this is my first time delving seriously into production.
I'll say too that personal experience has always served me well as I learned to play multiple wind instruments from 4th grade through college. But I don't know anyone who is at my current level of age (57) or experience who is as into EDM the same way I am becoming. That's why I'm here.

Please help me to understand the functions of the main tools in any DAW.

Sincere Thanks!!
Old 4 weeks ago
I think you'll have to be much more specific regarding what equipment you want to use for specific advice.

As far as general knowledge about working with audio and music tech: google, youtube and gearslutz is free. If a specific question pops into head, use the search function. It's all there. Reading manuals for equipment and software goes a long way as well (most are available online as well.)

Goodluck!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
@Noisewagon: What is this/ what do you mean? You shouldn’t have bothered

@bluzdogs: when I first started making electronic music there was no internet and it was Ataris and samplers. Nowadays there is literally too much information (including plenty of misinformation), there are YouTube tutorials, there are sample packs and ‘masterclasses’, vst plug ins, very low ‘barriers to entry’ as they say in Economics

As the previous poster said, begin reading and start making things asap
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack101 View Post
@Noisewagon: What is this/ what do you mean? You shouldn’t have bothered

@bluzdogs: when I first started making electronic music there was no internet and it was Ataris and samplers. Nowadays there is literally too much information (including plenty of misinformation), there are YouTube tutorials, there are sample packs and ‘masterclasses’, vst plug ins, very low ‘barriers to entry’ as they say in Economics

As the previous poster said, begin reading and start making things asap
You have too much information? Then what the hell are you bugging me for?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
You have too much information? Then what the hell are you bugging me for?
Why did you post that video and what did you mean by it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack101 View Post
Why did you post that video and what did you mean by it?
Aww, when I started out the was no internet. You had to learn every thing by yourself ....or a book.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Aww, when I started out the was no internet. You had to learn every thing by yourself ....or a book.
You seem to have no idea of how the world was in 1995. At a guess you’re 15. If you’re not, it’s just embarrassing
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yup, sometimes when I open up my DAW that's how I feel. Only difference is that my obscenities are a lot more intelligible!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks everybody!

Looks like it's play time!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search