The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microphone recommendation Dynamic Microphones
Old 16th February 2019
Here for the gear

Microphone recommendation

Hi,

In my homestudio id like to sample few percussion instruments.
Shakers as well as a Cajon.

Do you have any recommendations for suitable microphones? (willing to spend for solid quality, but no need to have top notch item, is for personal use).

Also want to record some vocals, too. Can this be done with the same (type of) microphone or better invest in a separate one? Any recommended ones?

Thanks for your advice!
Cheers
Old 16th February 2019
Shakers and Cajons are 2 different spectrum's of the percussion. They may need 2 different mics

For Cajons
Shure Beta 91 - LP makes a mount specifically for the Cajon.
AKG C414 and TLM103
In my experience, Cajons are pretty forgiving when it comes to what mic you can use

For shakers, i would use anything that you use for cymbals, like the I like the AKG 451 or Neumann KM84

For vocals
Who knows. Vocals mics are very personnel and it depends on your voice, the sound you want, and the room. You will need to experiment and try a few (or many) out to see what fits you the best.
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Addict

To have just one mic to use either shakers or cajon sounds, I'd use a Shure SM81. It's a standard 20 to 20K flat line mic. It will pretty much handle anything from very clear high frequencies to strong deep punch. Thankfully you can usually get a used one for about $250 and they're built like a rock. Vocal is a totally different animal, just hear as many of those as you can. Some people can sound just fine with an SM57 (also very useful with drums, etc.), but others might need a nice large capsule.
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear
M88TG would be a good choice for your situation.
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

Hey - you have too many ps in your name.

I think you know what I mean....

Budget? CJ gives some good options; I would recommend a U87 for an all-around great mic if you can only have one.

Cheers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

shakers and vocals can share the same mic for sure.

large Diaphram condensor if you are seeking studio quality results.

Jeff is right about a U87. excellent vocal microphones.

Dynamics are fine for Cajons.

i would suggest an AKG D3600 or an AKG D-112 as they are low cost and have good bottom end.

hope that helps. Buddha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search