The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing question. Audio Interfaces
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Mixing question.

I've noted that depending on the output volume of my Apollo Twin Duo, the mix changes substantially, at least to my ears.

I like to mix anywhere from barely audible to fairly loud, and anything in between.

So which is the most accurate?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Your mix will always sound different when played back later on different volumes.
So make it sound good (even if it is different) on all levels.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

But that will require constantly changing the mix, and when I do that, the last one will sound more "correct"

So I'm confused, and is there a recommended standard dB anywhere?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

PS

Are you saying that a final mix is basically a compromise that will sound "good" at all levels/on different playback systems, but not "great" at all levels/on different playback systems?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Calibrate ur monitors.
Band pass a pink noise 500>2000 Hz at -20 dbfs and have ur monitors give our 76 dbspl c weighted.
Maintain that level, and mix to it.
That should do the trick.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Music sounds different at different levels (and playback systems), at what sounds "great" is taste.
I generally mix at decent speaking level en check if it doesn't collapse at low levels or grids at loud levels.
Check with reference tracks to compare, but keep in mind that maybe you (just like me) dislike listening to music at load levels or what ever.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post
PS

Are you saying that a final mix is basically a compromise that will sound "good" at all levels/on different playback systems, but not "great" at all levels/on different playback systems?
From a production standpoint we can only do the best we can for the best-case scenario, and/or compensate for the most common system. Once your mix is out of your hands you have zero control. It'll be played back on anything from a great system to someone who only hooked up the left channel to two speakers placed in a terrible sounding room... you know, or whatever...

So, you get the best montioring situation you can, make it sound the way you want, have a mastering engineer tweak and both compensate for what you missed as well as enhance what you've done, and that's all you can do.

There's so much subjectivity in mixing that in my opinion that's about as much as you can do.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
.....There's so much subjectivity in mixing that in my opinion that's about as much as you can do.

And hence my insanity of always looking for the perfect/final mix, and never achieving it
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Here's a good rule to go by. Yes, your mix will sound different at different levels, but....

If something sounds really good at a relatively low level, chances are better than average it will sound good at higher volumes. The opposite is rarely true, especially if you don't have really really good monitoring. I usually mix below 80dB. (measured at the mix position) In fact a lot of the times it's in the mid 70s. I think that if you're looking for consistency you should try to keep the levels constant. If you mix something that sounds great at a low volume and you hear something off when you crank it, try taking it back down to the low level and see if you can fix something there, instead of trying to make it work at a higher level.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

my thing was always rough in hot when eq'ng individual instruments ..take an ear break.. listen low when riding and blending..listen moderate when A/B ing against the target songs..but that's me
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search