The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interface and Mic Pre
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Interface and Mic Pre

Hey Guys,

My questions is simple. For vocal recording purposes, does the audio interface quality matters if I'm using a dedicated mic pre?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaadeInAfricaa View Post
Hey Guys,

My questions is simple. For vocal recording purposes, does the audio interface quality matters if I'm using a dedicated mic pre?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hey Guys,

You can measure the behavior of your audio interface at zero gain. Check the article series on my website regarding "X32 as a Line Level Interface".

If you're using a preamp that has a digital output, then simply ensure that the best clocking strategy is used when capturing. If you provide details of your setup, then more specific recommendations can be made.

Last edited by MediaGary; 1 week ago at 02:40 AM.. Reason: Added digital comment
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

yes! get a quality converter
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyacier View Post
yes! get a quality converter
So in essence, the quality of the converters will be the most important "spec". How can I compare quality of converters for let say Apogee Duet vs Apollo Twin?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
So in essence, the quality of the converters will be the most important "spec". How can I compare quality of converters for let say Apogee Duet vs Apollo Twin?
They are both very good
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Yes and those 2 interfaces are interchangeable, as you will never hear a different in converters with audio interfaces, unless you go from a $200 to a $2000 interface.
MOTU used and maybe still uses the same converters as RME, so you can buy a $500 RME and get the same quality converters in a $1600 RME interface.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Same converters, but not the same analog section and not the same drivers.

So, your sound will be different.

Some people do not like the RME. Saying it is too “clinical”. It is in a way. Thisbis why I use Apogee X series. They have a nice EQ bump and dithering distortion that I find pleasing.

You need to listen to them and use them for a bit to see if they work for you.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Drivers do not effect sound quality. Drivers are for communication between your audio interface and DAW.
also, no one in this world could tell the difference between the 'analog section' between the MOTU and RME in a blind test when given 20 samples. They will get some right, because of the 50/50 chance, but no one can tell the difference.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Drivers do not effect sound quality. Drivers are for communication between your audio interface and DAW.
also, no one in this world could tell the difference between the 'analog section' between the MOTU and RME in a blind test when given 20 samples. They will get some right, because of the 50/50 chance, but no one can tell the difference.
Yep, drivers totally affect sound quality:

Bad drivers introduce pops, clicks and all sorts of garbage. They can ruin MIDI CLOCK etc etc

Gotta have good drivers
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Yep, drivers totally affect sound quality:

Bad drivers introduce pops, clicks and wll sorts of garbage. They can ruin MIDI CLOCK etc etc
Stop Spreading Misinformation!! Driver in no way effect sound quality. Drivers are for communication only.

YES you can hear artifacts and pops if the drivers are not set correctly, but this doesn't get printed onto the track and when you set them up correctly, it goes away. So it Doesn't EFFECT sound quality

It effects the performance of your DAW, NOT sound quality. GET the facts right!!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

That’s not true bro! My DAW records these skips and glitches.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
That’s not true bro! My DAW records these skips and glitches.
then you are a blatant lair. Or you are confused or both. You are are obviously clipping your signal. Driver settings do not effect sound when its gets recorded into a DAW.
Drivers are for Communication ONLY

Its just a fact! 1 plus 1 will always equal 2 and you are saying it equals 3.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

You’re calling me a liar? Wow.

So I just called a well known high end converter company located here in NY to confirm.

Seems we’re both correct.

If it’s strictly USB, for example, and the protocol is PROPERLY implemented, it is bit perfect.

However, if the software engineering is off, it will introduce errors that will be recorded.

Secondly, any layers on top of this such as DSP will also introduce artifacts into recorded audio if not coded properly.

The caveat was, any basic engineer could do this without screwing up. But in the real world, Idiots Rule. So it could happen.

No go take your meds dude.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
No go take your meds dude.
My med is reading the book on how to argue with idiots.
Your driver settings are not your drivers. The drivers themselves have no bearing on sound quality!!!

Sound card drivers do not effect sound quality! Its for communication between your audio interface and DAW.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
My med is reading the book on how to argue with idiots.
Your driver settings are not your drivers. The drivers themselves have no bearing on sound quality!!!

Sound card drivers do not effect sound quality! Its for communication between your audio interface and DAW.
Device driver - Wikipedia

If the driver is not coded correctly, it will affect the sound.

Just like MIDI. MIDI carries instructions about how a device should behave. If coded incorrectly, it’s a disaster.

Take an extra dose today bro.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
If the driver is not coded correctly, it will affect the sound.
If a driver is not coded correctly, it will not work properly and it will not be released!
What audio interface manufacturer released a driver that is not coded correctly?? or saying my sound card doesn't work because the usb cable is defective

Thats like saying a car cannot go in reverse, because the transmission is broken.
Your link confirms that drivers do not effect sound quality.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
If a driver is not coded correctly, it will not work properly and it will not be released!
What audio interface manufacturer released a driver that is not coded correctly?? or saying my sound card doesn't work because the usb cable is defective

Thats like saying a car cannot go in reverse, because the transmission is broken.
Your link confirms that drivers do not effect sound quality.
Wow! That’s probably the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen posted on Gearslutz!

Buggy drivers don’t exist?

Triple your dose dude!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Wow! That’s probably the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen posted on Gearslutz!
You should not stand in front of the mirror then.
Still cannot tell me what drivers are defective?? You know why? Because drivers do not effect sound quality.
Can you name one manufacturer that has Defective drivers as you said?, JUST One. LOL

If there is an issue with any audio interface today., it has to do with driver settings, not the driver itself. But this may be over your head..

Drivers are written protocol for communication. The only thing they effect is the Performance your PC.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/downloads/driver/uc.php

Here’s the best company in the world for writing and perfecting their audio drivers.

RME is THE BEST! There’s magic in that there code.

Because when your drivers are buggy the sound suffers
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/downloads/driver/uc.php

Here’s the best company in the world for writing and perfecting their audio drivers.

RME is THE BEST!

Because when your drivers are buggy the sound suffers
The drivers from RME or Focusrite do not effect the quality of the sound. They are just for communication protocols for your audio interface to your DAW

Drivers only effect the performance of your PC

You do not get better sound quality form RME drivers than you would using M-audio drivers. PC performance can be improved, but sound quality, never!! Drivers are for communication only.

Sound quality comes from the converters, mic pres, inputs, other hardware and circuitry
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Again, you’re wrong. Error correction code - Wikipedia

What happens isn’t an issue of a pleasing mic amp distortion or compression circuit, it’s the glitching qns pops and whatever else that finds its way into the waveform on the screen.

There are always errors. Some worse than others.

Buggy drivers exist: and they affect your sound.

From the Wiki:

ECC processing in a receiver may be applied to a digital bit stream or in the demodulation of a digitally modulated carrier. For the latter, ECC is an integral part of the initial analog-to-digital conversion in the receiver. The Viterbi decoder implements a soft-decision algorithm to demodulate digital data from an analog signal corrupted by noise. Many ECC encoders/decoders can also generate a bit-error rate (BER) signal which can be used as feedback to fine-tune the analog receiving electronics.
Old 1 week ago
You just do not get it and do not know how to interpret what you copied and pasted. and you still cannot even mention one sound card manufacture that released corrupt drivers, as you claimed

Drivers effect the performance of the DAW and they are for communication between sound card and PC. They are for communication protocol

The drivers from RME or Focusrite do not effect the quality of the sound. They are just for communication protocols for your audio interface to your DAW

Drivers only effect the performance of your PC

You do not get better sound quality form RME drivers than you would using M-audio drivers. PC performance can be improved, but sound quality, never!! Drivers are for communication only.

Sound quality comes from the converters, mic pres, inputs, other hardware and circuitry
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again, you’re wrong.
No, he's not really wrong.

What he's trying to say is that the data is either correct or there's an error. Nobody codes drivers to create some sort of sound or whatever, they just code them to shuffle data back and forth efficiently.

So an RME driver that works as it should will impact the sound exactly as little as a Focusrite driver that is working as it should, meaning zero. The driver imparts zero changes on the sound. It either works or it doesn't.

Saying that drivers sound different is grossly misleading.

Drivers don't have a sound.

-----

What you're saying is similar to saying that a connector inside a Neve console was broken and so you got a glitch in the analog signal, and that the sound of that Neve console is glitchy.

But it isn't. The connector had an "error". That's all.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
No, he's not really wrong.

What he's trying to say is that the data is either correct or there's an error. Nobody codes drivers to create some sort of sound or whatever, they just code them to shuffle data back and forth efficiently.

So an RME driver that works as it should will impact the sound exactly as little as a Focusrite driver that is working as it should, meaning zero. The driver imparts zero changes on the sound. It either works or it doesn't.

Saying that drivers sound different is grossly misleading.

Drivers don't have a sound.

-----

What you're saying is similar to saying that a connector inside a Neve console was broken and so you got a glitch in the analog signal, and that the sound of that Neve console is glitchy.

But it isn't. The connector had an "error". That's all.
I never said drivers had a sound.

I said buggy or bad drivers can lead to bad sound.

He’s wrong. And you’re wrong.

Buggy interface drivers can screw up a recording from a good converter.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I never said drivers had a sound.
You implied it pretty clearly when you wrote

Quote:

So, your sound will be different.
In other words, your sound will be different because of the different analog section and the different drivers.

It's just not good to use language the way you do because you really do give the impression that part of the sound of a converter is dependent on the quality of the driver, which isn't correct.

That is the point we were both making.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search