The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Liquid Channel Win 10?
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head
Liquid Channel Win 10?

Hi guys!
I just got the Focusrite Liquid Channel and I'm absolutely in love with it!
However, it doesn't seem to work with Windows 10! Even though the driver is good, the Liquid Control software installed just fine, only when open up, it can't seem to detect my Liquid Channel!

I tried with my old laptop which is running Win 7 and everything works just fine.

So are there any ways for me to make it work on Windows 10?
Hope to get some helps, thank you all!
Attached Thumbnails
Liquid Channel Win 10?-not-found.png   Liquid Channel Win 10?-liquid-driver-fine.png  
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

You're dealing with a really old unit there. It was a real top of the line unit 16 years ago when it came out but to expect a manufacturer to keep up with driver updates beyond 8 years or even double in this case is really asking a lot.

The original specs say Mac (OS 10.2.8 or later) or PC (under Windows XP) equipped with a USB 1.1 port
Hell, I haven't even seen a USB1.1 port in at least 15 years.

XP was a totally different operating system. They likely updated the driver to work with Vista and possibly Win 7.

You may be in luck getting it to work with Win 10 but you'll need to do it the same way as I got my M-Audio PCI cards which also ended driver support with Vista/7. What you have to do is rebuild the operating system from scratch, install Win 7, get your older drivers installed and up and running then, update Win 7 to 10. When you do the update it carries over your older drivers and just updates the things to make win 10 work without disabling the older drivers and software. I have drivers and plugins that date back to my original Vista Operating System that came with my one computer and they all worked through the win 7 and win 10 upgrades.

The only thing that didn't carry over were my video card drivers. Win 10 says the video card is too old and it only allows a default driver to run. It affected a couple of plugin GUI's which went blank but they still function even if I'm guessing when tweaking them.

There may be some other way of getting the drivers to load by forcing them. You can go into the hardware manager and find the device listed. If there are no drivers there should be a yellow asteric. You can then manually search for the older drivers and see if you can force them to load. You can compare the win 7 unit to see exactly how they look and how they set up. Maybe even copy the Win 7 driver to a thumb drive to connect to the win 10 box.

There's one other way I've used. If you take a functioning win 7 drive and run it as a slave on the wind 10 box either as a second internal drive or in an external HD case, you can then tell the hardware manager to look for the driver on that drive and install it. If you're worried about damaging the win 7 drive, figure out how much drive space it uses and buy another cheap drive and simply clone it. If its small enough you may even be able to clone it to a 32 or 64G thumb drive. Then its just a matter of drilling down into the drive when the hardware manager is used to search for the proper driver.

In summary, there are several ways of skinning the same cat, which winds up being the easiest is debatable. That unit was a real gem when new but getting it to work on the latest OS can be a tough egg to break. No guarantee it will stay working either. Its only one Microsoft update away from being deemed obsolete. I'm used to working with old gear and figure out tricks to keeping them running. Some simply had to stay on the older systems too.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
You're dealing with a really old unit there. It was a real top of the line unit 16 years ago when it came out but to expect a manufacturer to keep up with driver updates beyond 8 years or even double in this case is really asking a lot.

The original specs say Mac (OS 10.2.8 or later) or PC (under Windows XP) equipped with a USB 1.1 port
Hell, I haven't even seen a USB1.1 port in at least 15 years.

XP was a totally different operating system. They likely updated the driver to work with Vista and possibly Win 7.

You may be in luck getting it to work with Win 10 but you'll need to do it the same way as I got my M-Audio PCI cards which also ended driver support with Vista/7. What you have to do is rebuild the operating system from scratch, install Win 7, get your older drivers installed and up and running then, update Win 7 to 10. When you do the update it carries over your older drivers and just updates the things to make win 10 work without disabling the older drivers and software. I have drivers and plugins that date back to my original Vista Operating System that came with my one computer and they all worked through the win 7 and win 10 upgrades.

The only thing that didn't carry over were my video card drivers. Win 10 says the video card is too old and it only allows a default driver to run. It affected a couple of plugin GUI's which went blank but they still function even if I'm guessing when tweaking them.

There may be some other way of getting the drivers to load by forcing them. You can go into the hardware manager and find the device listed. If there are no drivers there should be a yellow asteric. You can then manually search for the older drivers and see if you can force them to load. You can compare the win 7 unit to see exactly how they look and how they set up. Maybe even copy the Win 7 driver to a thumb drive to connect to the win 10 box.

There's one other way I've used. If you take a functioning win 7 drive and run it as a slave on the wind 10 box either as a second internal drive or in an external HD case, you can then tell the hardware manager to look for the driver on that drive and install it. If you're worried about damaging the win 7 drive, figure out how much drive space it uses and buy another cheap drive and simply clone it. If its small enough you may even be able to clone it to a 32 or 64G thumb drive. Then its just a matter of drilling down into the drive when the hardware manager is used to search for the proper driver.

In summary, there are several ways of skinning the same cat, which winds up being the easiest is debatable. That unit was a real gem when new but getting it to work on the latest OS can be a tough egg to break. No guarantee it will stay working either. Its only one Microsoft update away from being deemed obsolete. I'm used to working with old gear and figure out tricks to keeping them running. Some simply had to stay on the older systems too.
Wow! Thank you for the super informative comment!
For my case, I can pretty much confirm that the liquid channel driver and liquidcontrol software are installed correctly. Whenever I plug in the liquidchannel, my windows 10 does recognize it and there isn't any yellow asteric in the device manager window indicating that there is driver issue with the Liquid channel.
So I guess the only option I have is to install win 7, get liquid control working as intended, then upgrade it to win 10 and hopefully the software compatibility is carried over to win 10?
Old 26th January 2019
Deleted 3cb98a6
It should work under win10. No experience with the liquid channel...but heaps with the liquidmix. I still run that...but its highly unstable.

Is this firewire aswell?
If yes....make sure you have the legacy drivers installed. If you don.t..nothing firewire related will work properly.

If you have more than one fw hole...try switching to another. IRQ adresses can change automatically in win10 or even be assigned double. That really screws thing up.
You can pop up a list to see what irq it gets assigned to...and check if other hardware uses the same adress. Its pretty advanced but if you do a search you can figure out how its done.

Furthermore....i think these units are pretty fussy about the moment they get turnes on. Make sure the computer is fully booted before the liquidchannel is turned on.

Also...check the powersupply. If the unit is underpowered if will have a hard time running stable. Is the lable says...1000Ma for instance....make sure the ps can deliver.
My liquidmix came new with a adaptor that was to weak for the unit.

Let me know if you're succesfull or not.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear
Try running the software (LiquidControl 2.3) in Compatibility Mode for Win 7.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by pief View Post
It should work under win10. No experience with the liquid channel...but heaps with the liquidmix. I still run that...but its highly unstable.

Is this firewire aswell?
If yes....make sure you have the legacy drivers installed. If you don.t..nothing firewire related will work properly.

If you have more than one fw hole...try switching to another. IRQ adresses can change automatically in win10 or even be assigned double. That really screws thing up.
You can pop up a list to see what irq it gets assigned to...and check if other hardware uses the same adress. Its pretty advanced but if you do a search you can figure out how its done.

Furthermore....i think these units are pretty fussy about the moment they get turnes on. Make sure the computer is fully booted before the liquidchannel is turned on.

Also...check the powersupply. If the unit is underpowered if will have a hard time running stable. Is the lable says...1000Ma for instance....make sure the ps can deliver.
My liquidmix came new with a adaptor that was to weak for the unit.

Let me know if you're succesfull or not.
My liquid channel is connect to my pc via USB. All drivers are good, only the software
Liquid control doesn't detect the unit in windows 10. Works flawlessly with my win 7 laptop thou.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Try running the software (LiquidControl 2.3) in Compatibility Mode for Win 7.
I did try every compatible mode available from win 95, xp to windows 8, no luck with that.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingOnion View Post
Wow! Thank you for the super informative comment!
For my case, I can pretty much confirm that the liquid channel driver and liquidcontrol software are installed correctly. Whenever I plug in the liquidchannel, my windows 10 does recognize it and there isn't any yellow asteric in the device manager window indicating that there is driver issue with the Liquid channel.
So I guess the only option I have is to install win 7, get liquid control working as intended, then upgrade it to win 10 and hopefully the software compatibility is carried over to win 10?
That does seem to work on the setups I've tried where I had older hardware and drivers installed. Hopefully you aren't switching from something like Win 7 - 32 bit Home to win 10 - 64 bit pro. going from 32 bit to 64 bit is likely to wipe out the original drivers. they may still be there but whether they are functional is questionable.

Anyway, if it works in 7 you could simply use 7 until you're sure its bullet proof before going to 10 or just use Win 7.

I actually prefer 7 myself. The only reason I want to 10 on my main DAW was because of a glitch I was having after fixing a Trojan issue. I removed too many things I thought have been causing a problem before finding the trojan and after fixing it I was having to manually turn on an audio service. Upgrading to win 10 fixed all that but since its a Home version and my computer is older its video capabilities are basic with my stock video card. It causes the GUI in some of my plugins to be blank.

Its still better then starting over from scratch. A reformat of the main drive from scratch takes literally a month to get everything reinstalled and tweaked back to where I like them. Its a grueling monotonous task I avoid whenever possible. I have an cloned drive of a working Win 7 setup but it contains that glitch so I'm not in any hurry to go back to that. I'll deal with the two plugins then spending a month to get their functionality back.

I do suggest you download a copy of CC Cleaner for windows. Its a free program which is actually quite good. It will go through and fix any registry issues you have after backing it up and if your problem is software related it might fix it. You can disable the program from running in the background after rebooting by going into its option/settings too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
You might try right cllicking on the file and choosing "Run as Administrator". I noticed I had to do that on Windows 7 when using an older version (2.2). That may work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search