The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
This is a controversial thread about studio monitors Studio Monitors
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Pop/rock a big part in money, a small extra little part in diversity.
For the rest, i don't know how mixe bass with a speaker without bass, we are in the post truth era and alternative facts typically the audiophile world.

And top of the top, the ns10 was not designed for a near field use.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Pop/rock a big part in money, a small extra little part in diversity.
For the rest, i don't know how mixe bass with a speaker without bass, we are in the post truth era and alternative facts typically the audiophile world.

And top of the top, the ns10 was not designed for a near field use.
...nor was it designed for top-of-meter-bridge use, which is not often considered in the multiple threads on NS10s.

The NS10, like the NS1000, was designed to be placed against the front wall. Doing this corrects to a large extent the bass fall-off in the bottom two octaves. The NS10 was actually designed to *be* a bookshelf loudspeaker for back when people did that. It was also designed to mate with a Yamaha sub expressly designed for that purpose, the YST SW100—the two-7" woofer version.

More recently "bookshelf speaker" is taken to mean a small two-way intended (and voiced) to sound right when mounted on a stand in free space with no acoustic support from the front or side walls and with the vertical listening axis at seated ear level.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
...nor was it designed for top-of-meter-bridge use, which is not often considered in the multiple threads on NS10s.

The NS10, like the NS1000, was designed to be placed against the front wall. Doing this corrects to a large extent the bass fall-off in the bottom two octaves. The NS10 was actually designed to *be* a bookshelf loudspeaker for back when people did that. It was also designed to mate with a Yamaha sub expressly designed for that purpose, the YST SW100—the two-7" woofer version.

More recently "bookshelf speaker" is taken to mean a small two-way intended (and voiced) to sound right when mounted on a stand in free space with no acoustic support from the front or side walls and with the vertical listening axis at seated ear level.
Right on. I’ve been looking for a larger set of monitors to compliment my Event 20/20’s. Have it down to JBL 4410a’s, 4412a’s or Yamaha NS-500m’s. The 1000m’s are still too pricy for me. I’m considering flush mounting them. Your dumping Yamaha knowledge I know to be true because I’ve done the research. Yamaha NS-500m’s are said to be fast and accurate but lack bass response. This is the main reason I’m working a larger set of monitors into my set up. 4410a’s are said to have better low frequency extension than 4412a’s because the cabinet is proportional to the 10’s while the cabinet for the 4412a’s is said o be too small for the 12’s. Frequency charts support this put out by JBL. However, I cannot find frequency charts for 1000m’s or 500m’s. Can you give me hard facts on the Yamaha’s? I like that they’re sealed box’s. Means tight bass but a larger amp will be required to drive them.

That is all,

Brian
Old 2 weeks ago
Here are a couple of links:

[Review] Yamaha NS1000M classic loudspeakers
[Review] Active Yamaha NS1000M by Chevron Audio

There is a frequency response plot on this page, but not from Yamaha:
Yamaha-NS1000

Googling reveals masses of information about the NS1000.

One more thing: they respond to LOTS of clean power. Apparently they sound fabulous with the same vintage Yamaha B-1 amplifier having 150 WPC into 8Ω and a JFET output stage, but the B-1 is still very expensive and almost impossible to find. My compromise amplifier is the Yamaha B-2 which also has a JFET output stage but is 100 WPC and much more common, going for around $1500. Not a ton of power, but very clean and versatile in its switching capabilities as well as having extraordinarily accurate level meters.

Edit: I said 'JFETs'. I meant 'VFETs'. They're very rare and very expensive, because the manufacturing process is so lengthy and the rejection rate is high, I understand.

Yamaha B-2 on thevintageknob.org

Last edited by Russell Dawkins; 2 weeks ago at 02:44 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here are a couple of links:

[Review] Yamaha NS1000M classic loudspeakers
[Review] Active Yamaha NS1000M by Chevron Audio

There is a frequency response plot on this page, but not from Yamaha:
Yamaha-NS1000

Googling reveals masses of information about the NS1000.

One more thing: they respond to LOTS of clean power. Apparently they sound fabulous with the same vintage Yamaha B-1 amplifier having 150 WPC into 8Ω and a JFET output stage, but the B-1 is still very expensive and almost impossible to find. My compromise amplifier is the Yamaha B-2 which also has a JFET output stage but is 100 WPC and much more common, going for around $1500. Not a ton of power, but very clean and versatile in its switching capabilities as well as having extraordinarily accurate level meters.
Thank you. I’ve found lots of info on the 1000m’s. The audiophile guys love them. What I have found on the 500m’s has been limited to subjective opinion, however, some of these opinions are from owners who owned both 1000m’s and 500m’s and the consensus is the 500’s are not sought after as much because the 1000’s have them in their shadow. The 500m’s have the beryllium mids and a carbon woofer vs a paper for the 1000’s. For what it’s worth, most who have heard both claim the 500’s have better bass response. I may just pull the trigger on a set. They seem to go for $500ish. 1000’s are $1500 for a badly beaten set and run up to $6k for mint sets. At $500 I can justify keeping them for my bedroom and moving the L56’s elsewhere.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll check out the links.

Brian
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. Boykin View Post
The 500m’s have the beryllium mids and a carbon woofer vs a paper for the 1000’s. For what it’s worth, most who have heard both claim the 500’s have better bass response.

Brian
According to this,
Yamaha NS-500M vs NS-1000M - the former wins! | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
the NS500Ms do not have the beryllium mid dome, but a 4" titanium carbide "semidome".
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
According to this,
Yamaha NS-500M vs NS-1000M - the former wins! | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
the NS500Ms do not have the beryllium mid dome, but a 4" titanium carbide "semidome".
Yeah, I read that thread. Also read the first one you posted. I read this link:

Vintage Speaker Reviews, Specs, Prices, Repairs, Refoaming, Reconing: Yamaha NS-500 and NS-500M Speaker Review, Specs and Price

And it states a beryllium tweeter. The mid is not. I read a lot in a short time, sorry for getting my facts wrong. The 1000m’s for our purposes are definitely the model of choice. Maybe I’ll get lucky and find a set in my price range, but it’s doubtful. The first read you posted which I had read pointed out some interesting facts I missed the first time around or maybe I read an abreviated version. They are meant for smaller control rooms and rely on bass building for a flatter frequency response. Just another factor to consider when building a room and speaker selection. I’ve built a pretty nice studio buying gear from yesteryears and swapping internals to bring them up to today’s specs. I plan on rebuilding the crossovers with modern original spec parts as the Jeep the crossover frequencies the same. I’m gonna have to get into a 1980’s/90’s room building mindset also.

Brian
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
<<Sys.Igor Kirkwood:StudioBriare/NS1000x/2s.Griesinger by Ohl>> - 30082891 - sur le forum <<Discussions Generales>> - 1037 - du site Homecinema-fr.com

He is a ME and works with the NS1000 shown on the photo. The tweeter has been replaced by a Focal BE (with adaptation DIY) and use an active crossover (electrovoicve dx46).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
<<Sys.Igor Kirkwood:StudioBriare/NS1000x/2s.Griesinger by Ohl>> - 30082891 - sur le forum <<Discussions Generales>> - 1037 - du site Homecinema-fr.com

He is a ME and works with the NS1000 shown on the photo. The tweeter has been replaced by a Focal BE (with adaptation DIY) and use an active crossover (electrovoicve dx46).
Here’s a great read as to why Yamaha chose beryllium for the tweeters from no other than Yamaha themselves. Makes me realize it’s not as important for the mid to be beryllium. Also makes me wonder if people who complain about the high harshness of Yamahas of this line and JBL’s with the titanium tweeters didn’t spend enough time on them to realize they needed to change their EQ habits.

https://www.vintageshifi.com/reperto...0-Brochure.pdf

Brian
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

I use NS-10M for mixing for two reasons. They tell me all I need to know about the midrange and enough to start with about kick, bass and high frequency content, but I always look into a MixCube in mono mode and some full range monitors to equalize kick and bass. This is the area where the NS-10s let you down. The white paper cone is very light and therefore low in distortion and great in detail. Apart from that the NS10s are mid forward and pretty nasty little things that make it hard to achieve a good sounding mix. Once you do the mix will sound great on just about any pair of speakers or headphones provided you have made the right choices in respect to kick and bass on full range speakers and MixCube. I use a pair of B&W Matrix 801 and a MixCube in mono and get good results. The problem is that as soon as you use full range speakers you need accurate acoustic treatment.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
How mixe with a colored speaker as the ns10.?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Because it works

Quote:
How mixe with a colored speaker as the ns10.?
I know it is counterintuitive, but it works. It is hard to get a good sounding mix on NS-10M for a reason. They are flawed in the right places. It happened by accident. Yamaha did not intend to invent the best speaker to mix with. They stumbled upon it.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by art felton View Post
I know it is counterintuitive, but it works. It is hard to get a good sounding mix on NS-10M for a reason. They are flawed in the right places. It happened by accident. Yamaha did not intend to invent the best speaker to mix with. They stumbled upon it.
Hmmmm. I don't think Akira Nakamura, who also designed the NS1000 and the MSP5 and MSP7 "stumbled" on this design. He was a skilled designer.

It is worth remembering that the NS10 was intended to be used against a wall in a bookshelf, not on a stand, meterbridge or desk, and ultimately with the matching YST-SW100 subwoofer, both of which transform the NS10.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search