The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Will a USB ground loop fix amp HISS? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Will a USB ground loop fix amp HISS?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to record guitars using Amplitube 3 and the HISS is killing me...

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett and the amp is an ENGL.

The 1st part of the clip is with the mic really close to the cab so it's picking a lot more hiss. But if I move it too much further it sounds very far away with too much reverb and the noise still can be heard.

(Oh and btw, the noise gate is already turned like crazy)

Could it be fixed with a ground loop usb and perhaps a new guitar jack?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Files

HissAmplitube3.wav (2.57 MB, 115 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You mean a USB ground isolator? I doubt it. Noise from a USB ground loop isn't a hiss. It more like a chirp or a high-pitched whine. If you've got hiss, you've got another issue, I think.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
There is only one way to find out, try it. These kinds of issues are solved by trial and error.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Hiss is part of every guitar amp. Perhaps the Amplitube is trying to realistically "emulate" this hiss of the amp.

Check the manuals for the plug - there might even be a way to turn the hiss off. On some tape plugs for example, you can defeat the tape hiss and defeat the wow and flutter and get just the parts of tape that you like.

Quote:
the mic really close to the cab
wait. Are you recording a real amp with a mic? Or do you mean the "virtual" mic in the Amplitube plug-in is 'close' to the virtual cab?

If you are recording a real amp, why are you using Amplitube at all? Such plug-ins are meant to substitute for an amp. Using an amp sim on an amp is like miking up an amp and then sending it to another amp. This certainly would magnify your hiss.

Quote:
I am doubtful that it has anything to do with your USB. Hiss is hiss - and ground loops make a hum, not a hiss. One way to know for sure would be to remove the plug-in altogether and play your guitar dry. If it still hisses, then it could be something to do with your guitar or - less likely - your interface.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Background hiss has nothing to do with usb. All that is carrying is digital 1s and 0s to and from your interface. As you have observed, the amount of hiss varies with the distance the mic is from your amp. So it's coming from your amp. Electronics produce hiss, especially when the gain is turned up, it's normal unless you have an expensive amp that has clean gain.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Pickups or jack?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

No, I mean all virtual amp and virtual cab.

But when I plug it on my Katana 100 (even on the 0.5 watt mode) makes somebackground noise
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Just to be clear, you have your guitar plugged into your amplifier, recording this with a microphone and sending this through a virtual amp?
Try plugging in your guitar to a instrument input of the scarlett straight away.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneSeeker96 View Post
I'm trying to record guitars using Amplitube 3 and the HISS is killing me...
Hiss? I hear no lethal hiss in your recording.

But it's probably my hearing, since all the answers so far does not disagree with you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I tried and probably the hiss is from a stomp box in Amplitube ?

Matti
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

try emg pickups eventually
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search