The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Replacing and moving kick samples
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Replacing and moving kick samples

So I have been doing this for a few years now. The drummer in my band has a notoriously bad foot and takes always end up with the kick drum out of time and weak. Beat detective and adding a sample usually does the trick but on this particular track the drum pattern has a kick on every beat so the kick and snare are hitting at the same time.

On pretty much every beat the Kick and Snare are flamming with each other.

My question is would muting the original kick, adding a sample but shifting the kicks to hit with the snare be out of the question?

I've been doing this for a couple years and have never heard any phase issues, probably because I HPF the overheads and the kicks are usually too weak to be heard clearly in the overhead and room mics.

If I can get some opinions on this technique that would be great thank you!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

sample replace the kick OR the snare, and the problem may be lessened. Or you can set a compressor to "duck" the kick somewhat when the snare is hit
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I think it would depend on your OH situation. If you are more about getting cymbals in the OH and there isn't a ton of kick/snare in there, then you should be able to move things around a bit. Of course, if your kick and snare aren't centered in the stereo image of your OH, you could be opening up a bigger can of worms.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search