The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME Fireface 802 - Not turning on Audio Interfaces
Old 16th January 2019
Here for the gear
RME Fireface 802 - Not turning on

Hello everyone.

So I hope someone else went through this because I have no idea what to do.
My 802 was connected and function fine, I turned it off for an hour and then back on. However when I turned it back on it did not turn on .
Its connected to my Furman power conditioner.
And here is the sequence I turned it on with.
Furman which directly opened the big knob and speakers > eleven rack which is connected VIA AES digital xlrs > 802.
I always open it like this cause the 11r software wont open other wise.
I uninstalled all of its drivers and softwares and reinstalled them again. I tried using firewire and USB, changed the cables, changed the computers, everything..
There is a pulsing sound coming from the outputs and the "flash tool" does nothing when I double click it.
FML
Someone please help.....
Old 16th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qumok View Post
Hello everyone.

So I hope someone else went through this because I have no idea what to do.
My 802 was connected and function fine, I turned it off for an hour and then back on. However when I turned it back on it did not turn on .
Its connected to my Furman power conditioner.
And here is the sequence I turned it on with.
Furman which directly opened the big knob and speakers > eleven rack which is connected VIA AES digital xlrs > 802.
I always open it like this cause the 11r software wont open other wise.
I uninstalled all of its drivers and softwares and reinstalled them again. I tried using firewire and USB, changed the cables, changed the computers, everything..
There is a pulsing sound coming from the outputs and the "flash tool" does nothing when I double click it.
FML
Someone please help.....
Hi Qumok and welsome to Gearslutz

Hopefully you've fixed the problem by now, otherwise maybe this bump will get some attention.
I'm not personally familiar with your gear; if there's still an issue the I'd suggest putting in a support request with RME in case it's a known issue (that perhaps something like a reset would cure),
Good luck!
Best, Arthur
Old 16th January 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Hi Qumok and welsome to Gearslutz

Hopefully you've fixed the problem by now, otherwise maybe this bump will get some attention.
I'm not personally familiar with your gear; if there's still an issue the I'd suggest putting in a support request with RME in case it's a known issue (that perhaps something like a reset would cure),
Good luck!
Best, Arthur
Thanks for the bump.
They keep directing me to Their "local dealer" link.
Problem is I bought it from Sweetwater and where I'm living in at the moment there aren't any RME distributors.....
Old 16th January 2019
Quote:
Thanks for the bump.
They keep directing me to Their "local dealer" link.
Problem is I bought it from Sweetwater and where I'm living in at the moment there aren't any RME distributors.....
I'm not familiar with the RME gear but it has a great reputation: is there a way to do a 'factory reset' or similar?
Old 16th January 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
I'm not familiar with the RME gear but it has a great reputation: is there a way to do a 'factory reset' or similar?
I just checked the manual and It doesn't mention it at all.
I'm very disappointed because of this issue, I bought the 802 because of the company's reputation.
Old 16th January 2019
Quote:
I just checked the manual and It doesn't mention it at all.
I'm very disappointed because of this issue, I bought the 802 because of the company's reputation.
I got this from the PDF manual:
Quote:
The Flash Update Tool updates the firmware of the Fireface 802 to the latest version. It requires an already installed USB driver.
Start the program fut_usb.exe. The Flash Update Tool displays the current revision of the Fire-face firmware, and whether it needs an update or not. If so, then simply press the 'Update' but-
ton. A progress bar will indicate when the flash process is finished (Verify Ok).
After the update the unit needs to be reset. This is done by powering down the unit for a few seconds. A reboot of the computer is not necessary.
If the update unexpectedly fails (status: failure), the unit's Safety BIOS will be used from the next boot on, the unit stays fully functional.
The flash process should then be tried again
I'm assuming these are the steps you've taken (and repeated, as it doesn't work); another possibility then is not the 802 itself but the power supply.
Have you tried it with another mains socket independently of the Furman?
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

By 'not turn on' you mean it won't even power up? If so, sounds like a power supply issue. First try not in the Furman, and if same problem then contact RME directly (via email or phone). I've had good experience with their support over email, even though I bought mine used.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I tried powering it on without the Furman and with different power supplies.
After I updated the driver, I installed the latest flash tool to update the driver, but the program simply won't open. Double click and nothing happens.
is there a method of testing and knowing whether the power supply is damaged?
Like by using a multi meter and checking some components?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Uncharted territory

I opened it up.
The fuse is not blown and nothing seems weird or burnt. Does anyone know how exactly I'll go about testing if the power supply is damaged?
Attached Thumbnails
RME Fireface 802 - Not turning on-75106d51-c73c-471f-9c23-630e56d16408.jpg   RME Fireface 802 - Not turning on-0e449abf-ff93-48ea-b478-40b898099d29.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I opened it up.
The fuse is not blown and nothing seems weird or burnt. Does anyone know how exactly I'll go about testing if the power supply is damaged?
You need to re-contact RME and/or Sweetwater.
DO NOT mess about with electricity; even by opening the unit you may have voided your warranty. No-one at Gearslutz who knows about electronics will give you advice like that and neither should you be asking. Contact RME.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
You need to re-contact RME and/or Sweetwater.
DO NOT mess about with electricity; even by opening the unit you may have voided your warranty. No-one at Gearslutz who knows about electronics will give you advice like that and neither should you be asking. Contact RME.
It's voided anyways. It passed two years.
I didn't touch a thing I Just opened it and closed it back to take a picture. I did however check the fuse to see if there is continuity in it, to see whether it blown or not.
I guess I thought there could be a simple answer.
I'm shipping today.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
It's voided anyways. It passed two years.
I didn't touch a thing I Just opened it and closed it back to take a picture. I did however check the fuse to see if there is continuity in it, to see whether it blown or not.
I guess I thought there could be a simple answer.
I'm shipping today.
Ah. I didn't realise it was out-of-warranty. What about the RME forum? Maybe it's a known issue there?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Ah. I didn't realise it was out-of-warranty. What about the RME forum? Maybe it's a known issue there?

The RME forum is a very weird and unfriendly place.

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
There was alot of talk regarding "hot switching" and "hot plugging". I have a small idea about what those terms are. However after reading the manual, there was no concern over that.
I just sent it to RME. When I get it back with results I'll update this thread. Hopefully it'll be useful for someone else.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakao View Post
The RME forum is a very weird and unfriendly place.

Sorry to hear that; their gear has a good rep.

Quote:
There was alot of talk regarding "hot switching" and "hot plugging". I have a small idea about what those terms are. However after reading the manual, there was no concern over that.
I just sent it to RME. When I get it back with results I'll update this thread. Hopefully it'll be useful for someone else.
Fingers crossed. I'm sure the info will be useful for someone.
The Geekslutz sub-forum might be a better place to ask about power supply issues; in general, it's a bit like asking for legal advice on the internet...some people will tell you something but it might not be correct in the realworld...but there are some knowledgeable people here.

I get where you're coming from now...it'll cost a packet for shipping and repairs on an oldish out-of-warranty unit.
Good luck
Old 4 weeks ago
Just curious, did you check to see if you have a bad power chord? Most IEC chords are basically junk and can break for no apparent reason. I've had to throw away at least a handful. I didn't see any blown capacitors in the power supply so I am willing to bet power is just not reaching the unit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Just curious, did you check to see if you have a bad power chord? Most IEC chords are basically junk and can break for no apparent reason. I've had to throw away at least a handful. I didn't see any blown capacitors in the power supply so I am willing to bet power is just not reaching the unit.
Hello.
I tried other cables and they didn't work either.
I'm hoping it is just a power issue as I believe that'll be easy to solve.
When I turn it on a pulsing sound comes from the speakers tho, so there must be some power I guess.
Old 4 weeks ago
Oh well. At least you didn't send it off for nothing. It does sound like a bad psu. Doesn't matter who makes the equipment, that stuff happens
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Alright. So it’s back and fully functional again.
It was the power supply, specifically the transformer in the power supply.
I purchased the entire power supply unit and replaced the old one,
I’m glad it’s back, but still kind of disappointed that it actually happened. The technician told me he has no idea how or why this happened. Especially that it was always in the rack and connected to a Furman.
Anyways thank you for your comments and to whom ever reads this thread, I hope it’s somehow useful to you.
The entire process costed me 275$.
150 psu
50 tech
75 Import tax (I live in the Middle East)

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
That's great news Qumok! It's always an anxiety-inducing experience when gear goes wrong; I shelled out $100+ for a new Sound Devices power supply but after 10 years daily use not so bad.

Best, Arthur

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search