The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Apollo x or Burl b2
Old 16th January 2019
Here for the gear

Apollo x or Burl b2

Hey I have a small private studio I have been building up this last year. I record hard rock music. Pretty much mono tracks only. Guitars & vocals. So I don’t need a lot of i/o. Right now I use an mkI Apollo twin. So here’s my question would it be smarter to buy the new Apollo x or add the Burl b2 to my current Apollo? Mainly wondering if the conversion is that much better between the 2. Possibly other benefits you guys might think of. No I don’t mix or anything like that. I just want the best signal I can get into my daw. Thanks!
Old 16th January 2019
Here for the gear

Coming from a UA fanboy, I don’t feel like you could go wrong with an Apollo X. The converters in the Apollo are fantastic and then consider the Unison preamps and dsp chips to run more plugins... no-brainer to me, but I’m just not hip to $2000 ADCs. They must be ****ing amazing to warrant that sort of price, but for a small studio, is it necessary? Do you have that kind of money to invest in a small bump in your conversion quality? I’m personally getting ready to add another Apollo to my rig.
Old 17th January 2019
Here for the gear

Yeah I am def willing to invest if it’s going to sound a lot better. Like I said we only record guitars and vocals here. Maybe that’s overkill to get a $2500 Burl I dunno. I really like the Apollo stuff. I even feel like my mkI twin sounds good! Maybe until I put it up against a Burl or x. Maybe I’ll just get the x. Def has to be a nice upgrade plus all the other features it offers is nice. Of course for that kind of money I could add a Shelford Channel or something. Or build like 6 capis! Haha. The options never end. Thanks for your input though!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I only record 2 channels at once, and currently use an Apollo Twin MKII Quad.

Upgraded outboard preamps and compressors and want to have better conversion and line inputs that can bypass the Twins preamps.

Option A) keep the twin as my interface and run a Burl B2 ADC via optical

Option B) sell the Twin and buy an Apollo x6 - more inputs than I need, but if the AD is awesome like the Burl, and a better DA than the Twin, it may be worth it (more processing power plugins as well).

Since I really only need 2 inputs at once, not sure what’s the best approach.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post

Upgraded outboard preamps and compressors and want to have better conversion and line inputs that can bypass the Twins preamps.

Option B) sell the Twin and buy an Apollo x6 - more inputs than I need, but if the AD is awesome like the Burl, and a better DA than the Twin, it may be worth it (more processing power plugins as well).

I have the Twin MKII and an X6. The AD/DA on X6 is a step up for sure. But I can't say if it's in Burl territory (not used one), but from my understanding of AD/DA quality (even though I'm a UAD fanboy), I would probably go with the Burl or another high-end 2 channel AD/DA option.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post

The Apollo x6 has better/newer ADC chips than the Burl B2. Specs on the B2's are closer to the Apollo Twin's ADC chip specs. That said, chip specs aren't everything, implementation matters. The Apollo x6 is super transparent, the Burl B2 isn't. It isn't supposed to be, it's euphonic. People like the Burl B2 because it isn't transparent, it adds some analog color, mainly because it has transformers in it.

I have to wonder if anyone can actually hear the difference between -112dB THD+N and -110dB THD+N anyway. They seem not to be able to in blind tests. The sound of the Burl B2's transformers is something you can hear for sure. Depends on if you want transparent or colored.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Bought a B2 ADC and will be grabbing an Apollo X6 as well - so I’ll try it out first hand and see if the Burl stays.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

The Burl ADC is absolutely staying. Wow. I expected a less noticeable difference but it’s pretty big. The Apollo has a clean and open sound and seems very good. As soon as I switched to the Burl, I was blown away. Best way I can describe it is it that the sound goes from cold and digital to warm and organic.
Old 22 hours ago
Here for the gear

@ mikoo69 , I run a burl ADC as well. I agree, it will blow you away when comparing it sonically to Apollo. At the moment, I’m on the fence and trying to decide if I should upgrade to X series, or just invest in a Dangerous Convert 8. Currently, I’m running a BF Apollo and wondering if the converters would be better on the convert over the x series.
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

The convert-8 can be used as an interface for tracking and connecting the Burl?

I plan to run the Burl ADC into an Apollo X8 - so Apollo conversion for monitoring, but Burl conversion for tracking...and then 4 extra apollo unison preamps if I ever need to track more than 2 mics at once (in my studio I do mostly overdubs so typically only 2 tracks so the Burl ADC is perfect)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search