The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
effects pedals with 4 track?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

effects pedals with 4 track?

hi, first time poster, super newbie question, forgive me...

can I use guitar pedals with a super basic old tascam 4 track? there is no effects input or "send" or "return" effects functions. I'm assuming I can just record the track wet? I don't have any pedals at the moment so I can't try, but I don't want to waste my money on one if it's not going to work.

thank you
Old 1 week ago
It will work. I'm not sure what effect you are going for but it will "work." whether it sounds good or not is an entirely different story. Does the tascam have mic inputs or line inputs is also something to address.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes you can do that but it may not be the best impedance/frequency match, plus it depends on the type of pedals being used.

Whet you have to realize guitar pedals fed into a amp will have most of its Highs and lows rolled off. Guitar amps are Midrange amps and most guitar speakers have a frequency response between 100 to 5Khz. When you plug into a tape recorder like that you don't have a speaker that's going to roll the highs and lows off and create the ideal frequency response. Take a look at the response curve on this Jensen. Below 800 and above 5K the response begins to drops off. The amp head too is anything but High Fidelity.

It typically takes an entire band to produce a full frequency response. The guitar is only part of that response and you therefore want to limit how much of the frequency response range it occupies.

Here's a better idea of what I'm talking about.

If you're going to use regular guitar pedals you want to use something like this at the end of the chain. you can pretty much choose whatever speaker cab which suits the music and get both the frequency response and the cabinet impulse. https://www.amazon.com/TOMSLINE-Shap.../dp/B01K29Y7L6

Its still going to be very dry however. If you put a reverb or echo after that unit it will fee allot more like you're playing through an amp.
Personally I'd just pick up a Multi effect unit that's designed for recording direct and contains amp/cab emulation, plus everything else you could need. Some even have built in drum sets which are pretty good. I've collected several over the tears from some of the first table top type like the Digitec Genisis, to some of the newer ones like Boss and Vox. Makes your guitar sound like its playing through a real amp plus you have 30+ amps, 12 cabs what's that mathematically, 360 amp combinations? Not a bad one in the bunch with that little Vox 1G. I didn't pay more then $40 for any of them either. All are designed for direct recording so it takes away that nasty harshness and dry tones you get plugging in direct.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrisgod View Post
hi, first time poster, super newbie question, forgive me...

can I use guitar pedals with a super basic old tascam 4 track? there is no effects input or "send" or "return" effects functions. I'm assuming I can just record the track wet? I don't have any pedals at the moment so I can't try, but I don't want to waste my money on one if it's not going to work.

thank you
It will work best if you print your effects to tape. I started out with a Fostex four track that only had two RCA inputs. It also had four RCA outputs. I used that with an old Peavey XR600 powered mixer. It had a rudimentary aux set up so I would use an MRX analog delay with that.

I actually miss that way of recording. Bouncing three tracks down to one, or onto another deck. If you can find a cheap mixer with some aux sends you should be set.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search